Memorial Weekend At Red Lake

• Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

3 of us spent the weekend at Red Lake. Fishing was great and the weather cooperated for camping at Big Bog State Park. I did not fish the river but I saw a few boats fishing it and several fish being caught on our way in & out of the lake. Out on the lake the boats were almost all lined up on the 4-9 fow break line, especially going south out of the Tamarac River. I estimate that half the fish we caught were in the 17-26″ protected slot, the largest was my wife’s 20″. Most were caught using white or green minnow tipped jigs cast and retrieved while anchored. Slip bobbers did not seem to work for us, nor did leeches. I saw a lot of walleyes get caught and the cleaning shack was often busy and standing room only after dusk.

doubleshot
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Thanks for the report!
    Looking at heading up that way sometime soon!

scott-k
    Red Wing

I was at Red Lake on Saturday morning and had a great time catching. We got there at 6:30, which I considered late, but the fish bit like mad until about 12:30. Maybe the wind changed things a bit.

When does the slot change this summer?

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

The slot changes on June 15th so any fish under 20″ can be legally harvested. A 4 fish limit remains in effect.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.