Tipup fishing on URL

• Matt Hall
    Mount Horeb, WI

We’re making our annual trip up to URL in about a week and we’d like to do a little more tipup fishing this year. I’m a bit of a rookie to tipups on Red, any suggestions on what’s been working best on tipups would be appreciatted.

Matt

JeffinWaskish

Today was a good day for northerns, 1 house had a 34 and a 41 incher and the other house had a 34 and a 36 incher, alll caught on a fathead and small ice jig. Tipups haven’t been that productive this winter on the pike as of yet. The 4 inch suckers being used targeting the slimers have been producing good walleye #’s though. I would use the largest bait you can find, Agassiz Bait has some heavy northern suckers. And way out on the mud flats is where the best action has been lately.

russjudy
    Minnesota

Jeff, i was taught when fishing gators on Red not to put the bait near the bottom but 4-6 ft under the ice, they seem to cruse there during this time of the year;; i have better luck doing that during day light hours,and at night i went deep;

col._klink
    St Paul

russ is right on. i have hammered some huge pike on red and most of the time the big ones over 40″ have all come on a bait placed only a couple 3 or so feet under the ice in believe it or not less than 10′ of water. just my take.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.