Good Friends on lake Kabetogama

• Anonymous

When I speak of good friends, I am speaking of Laura and Niles Knutson and family, the new owners of Pine Aire Resort on beautiful Lake Kabetogama. The Knutsons took over Pine Aire Resort the first of the year. They came from Iowa, and after many years of visiting Lake Kabetogama, they decided to retire from farming and become Resort owners ! Well you say “Farmers” what do they know about Resorts ? Let me tell you, they were Dairy farmers, they know hard work, they know long hours and they know dedication ! Niles is a sportsman in all aspects and he is a caring person, and always has time to talk with you ! Takes care of the marina and 10,000 other things that has to be done every day ! laura and the Kids take care of the other duties, All in all they know how to make you feel like one of the family. No high

pressure here, just pure relaxation !!!

Now lets talk about the cabins ! For the last five years I have stayed in the original log cabin ! Yes it is a real log cabin that has been modernized with the latest amenities, complete housekeeping, this cabin is a beautiful piece of original work, with a view from the front porch that you only see on the cover of magazines ! So relaxing, that sometimes it is just really hard to do anything else than just kick back and let your mind absorb what nature is really about. All the cabins have a view of the lake, and they are all well equipped with everything you need to enjoy your stay ! They also have the only inland protected harbor on the lake. I have already booked the first week in june 2003 !

Now to the part you have been waiting for ” FISHING REPORT” This year we fished hard, six day of fishing with only one windy day that blew us off the lake only for six hours. Even at that there were no shortage of slot fish ! We ate fish three nights, I am talking six fishermen and five were novice, so catching fish isn”t hard, just trust your electronics, when you see them, fish them ! Thanks ” Garmin Electronics” you sure cut the chase !! I was doing so well that people around the lake were telling each other to follow the Pro with the red jacket and E.F.N. hat on, in the blue Smoker Craft with “Fishtheriver.com” on the side ! Needless to say, we E.F.N. guys seem to attract a crowd where ever we go. We shared our information and we had a great time ! Everybody caught fish !!!

We caught a lot of fish but nothing too big. The 17+in thru 21in fish were “A Dime A Dozen” fun hey ! My personal biggest was 23 1/2 Taken out of three feet of water in the middle of the day ! Pitched 1/8oz weedless Ringworm Jig with camilion Ring worm and a pinch of crawler to add a little scent. People this is a “Killer Combo” you wouldn’t know if a smallie or a walley hit it until you started reeling in the fish ! Also threw Mepps count down, “nice unit” Tipped it with a short twister tail and a pinch of crawler, used this in 10ft thru 18ft water, counted down to the bottom, If the line went slack before it reached the bottom “Set The Hook” they picked it on the fall ! I caught lots of fish using “Mepps Count Down” ! more info http://www.mepps.com Thanks Mepps !!

Most people just pulled a long line red hook/red bead, I tried it, just too boring for me, tried to empty my tackle box to see what they wouldn’t hit on, Well the best was still the two aforementioned !! Can’t go wrong with these combos ! I even got top use my “Frogg Toggs” I didn’t have to stand in the shower to see if they kept me dry, I am glad that they go on fast, because the rain and wind was on us out of a clear blue sky ! Frogg Toggs kept me dry and cut the wind away and I think they look great !

As you can tell I really like Kabetogama, not just because it is a great lake to fish. It is lake, yet a river, it has history that you can see, it’s as close to Canadian waters as you can get without buying a Canadian license, It’s my little piece of “Heaven”. You too can enjoy It !!!

RE: Pine Aire Resort

9978 Gappa Road

Lake Kabetogama, MN 56669

1-877-875-2161

fax 1-218-875-2012

e mail http://www.pineaire.com

Richard (Smitty)

Asst. Pro-Staff Director E.F.N.

[email protected]

Keep a tight line !!!

06/16/02

Anonymous

Howdi Richard, Is this new count-down lure really called the spin-flex.
    Steve

Anonymous

Hey Leiniman !

Glad you asked , yes Mepps New lure is named “Spin-Flex”. I used the Spin-Flex alot when I was on Kabetogama, Had great fishing thanks to this new lure. Seemed that when the fish went off bite, it would trigger more hits than a coventional Slow fall spinner ! I liked how it didn’t foul, and it seemed to hook-up into the roof of the mouth, which made un-hooking a snap !! The Mepps “Spin -flex can be found at most tackle stores RE; Cabelas, Mills Fleet-farm, I even think you can get them at Gander Mountain. Give them a try, I’m sure you will be impressed !!!

More info ; http://www.mepps.com

Richard (Smitty)

Keep a tight line !!!

Anonymous

Thanks Richard, I did some reading on the Mepps page and I thought they must be the ones you were talking about.I’ll give them a try. They would probably work great with one of my favorite plastic’s (exude twister tail in chartreaus flake).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.