Any Recent Reports?

• jech84

I’m in the Grand Rapids area this week and was wondering if we should try driving to Upper Red.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

check with Cookie, John Halvorson
    218-556-6197
    he’s on the lake 365.
    or Mort’s
    218-647-8128

cookie
    waskish minnesota on upper red lake

Hey Stu thats not true I do not go on the lake 365. I live here so here quite a bit of fishing reports .
    I’ve been out a few mornings the last couple of weeks . I mostly runs spinners and have caught keepers in any where from 5 to 7 feet of water. I have also caught a couple nice fish sunday trolling a jointed rapala in 6 feet of water. The last time I was out at the rock I also managed two keepers in the short time I was there. All in all the fishing has been good . Rodger was up saturday, sunday .They caught a few fish on the smaller side and also let a 19 go that they thought was to big.
    I would like to get the wife out a couple evnings this week.

cookie

Jake,Jenny and Gabrial came up wednesday night for a day and a half of fishing. We spent aouple hpurs on the lake and only managed 1 keeper a couple small dinks and a few sheephead . The highlite was when Gabral caught a small crappie in front of my place..

cookie

yesterday was better with 8 keepers the biggest 1 18 incher

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

Has anyone been out targeting the BIG pike yet, this is usually the time of year I get up there for a pike weekend?

cookie

yes Where do you stay when you come up?

cookie

jech84 did you make it up last thursday?If i remember it was windy

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

yes Where do you stay when you come up?

We have a cabin 25 min north by the Rapid River, I wake up see where the wind is from; get to Hwy 72 and decide if I am going left to Red or right to LOTW.

cookie

COOL We canoed the rapid about 7 years ago and deer hunted with our bows. Bob and Bill each got a deer. It was quite the trip .We has a blast.

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

There used to be a lot of Pike in the rapid, but the water levels have been so low the last couple of years I can’t imagine there are lot left. We used to take the duck boat and just float from one bridge to the other about 5 miles and catch quite a few. Nice scenery and lots of fun, just had to watch out for the deer and horse flies.

cookie

the first year we floated the water was high as we had 8 inches of rain. I did bring a rod and reel but never caught anything.It was quite the trip as every corner was a surprise with down falls. We would have to go under over or around them the whole trip.I was hoping to get a shot from the canoe with my bow . We did surprise a few deer but never got a shot from the canoe .I knocked my bow in the river and had to retrive it. Another spot there were so many tree down we had to portage a 1/4 mile/ We camped the first night and set up our stands. Bob and Bill both got a deer. Then we had to canoe with a deer in each canoe.What a trip. The next year I declind as the water was low and I physccally did not think I could handle it again. It was on the bucket list so I declind as I had done it.They found a forth guy. That year they brought a chain saw. What a trip they had I picked them up in Carp. Waitting for them they came around the corner dragging the canoes over rocks. They never got a deer or saw one as they speny more time dragging the canoe then riding in it. I knew the trip was going to be trouble so I was happy I declined .

cookie

spent a couple hours fishing yesterday morning trolling fora pike with no luck.
    on a side note i’m looking for a 350 gm car to make a enduro car . 2 or four door does not matter but want a chevy. It also has to be stock. anybody anybody

cookie

Wow does it feel good to feel good.
    We took our first ice fishing reservation yesterday. Bring it on. Lets all hope for a awesome ice fishing season this coming up year.
    Sounds like the walleye bite is finally picking up with the cool evnings the fish are starting to relate to the shoreline breaks.Looking forward to a great fall of fishing.

cookie

Fall fishing/golf special.
    Have a nice stay here for 2 nights and I will provide two free rounds of golf in badette.50 miles one way. Golf and fish low one day and upper red lake 1 day.
    I expect some good fishing to come . After sept 15th bring your shotgun a and grouse hunt I will supply Bella my grose hunting lab. If you would like.

cookie

The wife Step mother and stepbrother came up for a visit and wanted to go fishing while they were here. We headed out around 4 pm to see if we could catch dinner. As we were just going for a boat ride first to show them some of the area cabins and lakeshere property I was surprised how many fish I was seeing on the lorance fish finder. When we got down in front of my dads lakeshore property he owned before his untimly death 34 years ago I decided we would start there first. Tj had never caught a walleye so we sure wanted him to get at least one. It did not take long before both Linda and TJ missed a fish. I assumed they must of been little .A bit later Linda got a nice 18 inch keeper, followed bu a fat 15. Not long after that TJ got his first walleye a nice 15 incher. Not long afater that Tj was getting hungry so we called it a night and headed to westwind to have them cook up our catch.YUMMMMY another excellent job westwinf. It sure was nice to see the walleye starting to bite again.

To my surprise I stilll have not had a taker on my golfing special?

cookie

My plans again this fall is to fish as much as I can afford. This fall were also dealing with very low water conditions so theres some days I can not even get” Imagine That” our boat on the lake. The dnr or who ever is resposible for keeping the mouth of the river dredged out are dropping the ball. Huh Imagine That

cookie

The weather the next 5 days looks nothing but spectacular. With no wind predicted and two calm days in the books I expect the fish to be snapping this weekend.
    I pulled my boat out of the river as it made no sense having it there when I can not access the lake. I do have my brothers 16 foot boat and plan on taking that out of westwind to do some fishing and see if its possible to get my boat “Imagine That” out onto the lake.
    Yesterday I saw one whole boat on the lake. Sounds like Bob,Rick and Ty will be up deer hunting over mea weekend.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

If a person has a 19 foot Skeeter, where would he be able to safely launch and get out on the lake?

cookie

i would call westwind and see what they say? 218 647 8998.
    Marty said I could get my 20 foot tyee out but I have not tried yet.

cookie

Took my brothers 16 foot crestline out yesterday . It sure was different running a small boat with tillar after driving my boat for the last few years. It did not take long to catch my first fish on a pink spinner..I then switched to a black and silver rapala and caught a fat 19 inch keeper. I then switched up again and went with a plain hoook and two beads and landed a nice 181/2″. So just as I figured with the warm calm days the fishing would be good . I fished for a bit more going after that 4th but I had other things a needed to get done while the nice weather is here. I think I saw two other boats on the lake and saturday she was swamped as there were atleast half a dozen out there.

——————————————————————————–
    Cabin/Ice House Rentals on Upper Red Lake

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.