Report from north of springsteel

• bam_bam
    Badger, MN- not too far from the big pond!

Just got off the ice an hour and a half ago…..4 of us pulled in excess of 60 fish out of the water, with 20 we took home to for the freezer. We had so many bites, tried almost any lure you could think of, and a few you wouldn’t think of (who would have thought that a plain hook would still work….but it caught a damn nice 20″ walleye…just a hook and a chub..I did it on a bet!!)
    there’s a rock pile about a mile and a half to 2 miles pretty much due north of spring steel resort, and you can’t beat the action when it decides to light up. It’s about 23-25 feet under the ice, and home to some big boys. It’s man made…it was put there about 12-15 years ago, and since then it’s became a thriving habitat. I try to get just to one side of it when ever I go out, and have yet to have a bad day fishing when I’m near stone henge!!
    I will warn you though….you’ll pull up a pile of perch….but every now and then a nice eye flys in and swallows whatever is in its way.

bam_bam

I forgot to mention…we moved one of our large shacks out there today, so we didn’t get fishing till about 9:30-10:00 this morning….so we fished for a little over 6 hours…and averaged about 10 fish an hour. We also pulled up a couple of pike…one 32″, one 29″

Mykal
    Rogers, MN

Marcus. Great report. I usually go out of Springsteel in March. Any chance you could help me find this “Stone Henge”?
    You could PM me if you like.

Thanks.

bam_bam

out there again today……again…lots of action
    it’ll be easy to find on a clear day, but other wise your screwed. The easiest way is to drill holes and drop a line with a few wieghts on it…if it gets snagged, your on it. We plan on keeping our permanent houses out there till the end of feb, early march. basically you go off the resort landing and go due north. I’ll check my odometer next time and give an exact mileage to help you out.
    as for today, a storm was moving in, and we caught some of the biggest perch I’ve ever caught, along with some nice 18-20′ eyes. They were more finiky on what they bit on, I was having good luck on a green and orange angel eye, and some luck with a green and white demon, better luck on a pink and white weasel. I used chubs exclusively, my brother used shiners with gem n eyes, I caught about 5 more perch and 3 more eyes than him. All told we brought home 18 fish, 10 walleye and 8 large perch. We threw back about 8 (14″ or shorter) eyes and at least 15 perch (if they were shorter than 9″ they lived another day) the smallest eye I caught was a whopping 4.5″.

Mykal
    Rogers, MN

Marcus, thanks. I’ll watch for the information.

Mykal
    Rogers, MN

Marcus, did you get a chance to get the odmeter readings to “Stone Henge” ?

bam_bam

yeah, it’s 1.3 miles, give or take a tenth….there’s always people around it….basically it’s the second little village you’ll run across

Mykal
    Rogers, MN

Thanks Marcus. We may be in that area in March.

bam_bam

I was wrong, it’s more like 2 miles….my odometer is wrong on my truck(oversized tires), and I had a brain fart. There is a nasty breaker starting to push up on the road, I expect to soon be using a chainsaw to get to our houses. The fishing has seemed to dropped off a little, but not enough to merit a move( we still can pull up 30-40 perch, and 10-20 saugers/walleye in an 8 hr stint on the ice), just the size is a little spotty. The big ones are there, you can see them on the locator, but they aren’t that easy to convince that they should chow down on your yummy hook. I can’t seem to figure out what works best…seems like every bigger eye I’ve pulled up has been on a different lure. I’ll keep posting any changes. I wonder if the severly sub-zero temps aren’t making the big fellas a little sluggish?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.