NW Angle Report 3.15-3.17

• Labvolt

Two of us fished NW Angle out of a resort on Oak Island on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, March 15-17. Fished both the American and Canadian sides.

We arrived Saturday about 7AM after driving through the night. We purchased 2008 Ontario licenses, packed up the portable and gear and headed for a couple of suggested spots on the Canadian side. The bite was hot. I had 20 fish in the first hour with at least 6 over the 18.1″ size requirement. The bite remained hot until about 4PM when we moved to the Minnesota side South of Oak Island. Dave and I lost count at 45 walleye-saugers, but we estimate we landed about 75 fish for the day. Dave hit the leader board with a 26″. My best was 21″.

Sunday and Monday were similar, the size was not as big as Saturday, but we had more time to fish, so more quantity than quality. We actually made time to have a cold one and a couple of sandwiches these days. We did not move much since the bite was never completely quiet. Dave hit the leader board again with a 24″ and we landed 11 of them over the 20″ mark. We made a rough guess of 225 fish between the two of us for three days. All walleye-sauger except one ‘pout, 4 tulibee and 4 perch.

I am a rookie at LOW fishing, but our hosts were excellent at suggesting bite patterns and places to fish.

The presentation did not seem to make much difference. I used a hammered gold Swedish pimple, a white glow jig and a plain gold pimple. Dave used a perch colored pimple, a green glow jig and, on Monday, a bright orange jig spoon (this landed 4 over 21″ in a 20 minute span).

We fished mostly 25-30 FOW, but tried a couple of shallow areas early/late in the day. The shallows produced, but mostly small fish.

Terrific fishing. Excellent weather – no wind and 20-30 degrees made for no-portable-needed fishing most of the day.

Wonderful hosts, I would recommend them to anyone, but I am not sure if I can place the resort name on this post (site regulations??). They had 4 guides in the clubhouse Saturday evening, all very willing to share information and fishing techniques. I learned a ton about the LOW fisherie. I rank the resort owner and guides at the top of the list for “most able to put you on fish.”

The Angle truly was worth the extra hour+ drive.

A return trip next year during later-ice season is already planned.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.