Lake of the Woods report

• Anonymous

DeeZee, your report is right on the money for the weekend!
    I know DeeZee discussed the Otter Lodge but I wanted to say again how great the Otter Lodge worked out in this frigid weather. I was also really impressed with the ease of setup and the quality of the product. I attached a cool pic of DeeZee and a URL Crappie and I’ll follow up a couple of more pics just for fun!

Anonymous

Nice report guys. Sounds like a fun road trip.

Wouldn’t it be great if all perch were that big!!

Thanks,
    Jon J.

Anonymous

Here is a report from friends at Ballards.

Big weekend on “The Woods”… 02/17/2003
    Hello walleye fans… Welcome to the weekly update on “The Woods”.

Wow, quite a weekend here at Ballard’s! Some very very nice pails of fish coming to the dock. We’re on the move, and it’s paying off.

“Head north young man”… Or something similar to that effect. Our guides have been busting their humps, & now we’ve put ourselves approx (9) miles offshore, hovering over schools of aggressive walleyes.

What’s the mix? 70/30… 80/20… 90/10… I’m talking walleye to sauger ratio. And it’s been just unreal. This is not your typical February Lake of the Woods bite. We’re dominating our catch with walleyes, and they’re nice size fish!

Just ask Mike Conradi from Duluth. He popped a trophy on Saturday that must have went nine or ten pounds. Now that’s a fish of a lifetime coming through an eight inch hole. Congratulations!

It’s hard not to get excited, but I feel that our guides really have us clicking on all cylinders. This is virgin territory for us… We’re out there doing our own thing… Fishing to the northwest… Working select fishing spots… And having great success.

Obviously “The Woods” is steadily producing, but you still have to find ’em, & you still have to catch ’em. That’s the name of the game.

We’ve got ourselves in a good position to finish out the month of Feb. in fine fashion. If you have the chance, come & take advantage of this “February Walleye Opportunity”. It’s nothing we’ve ever experienced before in mid-Feb.

Strongest walleye population this lake has seen in (75) years. You bet!

Lake conditions remain excellent. The winter season has pushed us well over the THREE foot mark for ice thickness. Actually, it’s even more in select areas. The guides actually found a spot yesterday that they could not pop through, even with the extensions on the augers! That would be 42 inches plus… Unreal… Double up the length of the extensions, and bring on March!

Remember… Our ice fishing houses can remain on the lake until April 1st. So, there’s six weeks to go!!! Let’s get fishin’…

See you on “The Woods”.

Set the hook…

A report like this make me want to head up there again!

Dino

Anonymous

Sounds like the bite is getting hot again. This last weekend a number of anglers made the trip to the Pine Island area and put a whoopin on the eyes and saugers. Two different spots which were producing. The first spot was 4.5 miles out and in 24 feet of water, then the next groups are 10.8 miles out and fishing in the 34-36 area. Its a mid-day bite with some early and late day bites showing up to make for a great day. The bite is still an action bite but it seems that the bigger fish are hanging in there. Many of the fish are small, but each group is getting there fill of eyes and suagers upto the slot. It seems that some of the fish are in transistion…meaning making there move towards the river, boy if the weather doesn’t warm up it going to be one hell of a late season ice bite in four mile bay….lets hope for warmer weather even though that sounds fun…its time to get in the boats.

Anonymous

Sean/DeeZee/whoever,
    How’s the bite holding up? I’m headed up there next Thursday and am hoping to find the better fish. Oh, wait, this is LOTW I’m talking about. There’s always nice fish biting. LOL!! Anyone else going to be up there from the 20th to the 23rd? Maybe we can get some good pics taken for an updated report on what’s possibly my favorite time of the year up there – LAST ICE!! Can’t wait….

Mark

Anonymous

Sounds like it is wide open again. I will be guiding on the 21st. Shallower early and late day bite with the mid-day bite going good in the 35 feet of water. Best bait as of late has been fatheads. Should be a fun day…lots of nice eaters coming through the holes as of late. Goo Luck

Anonymous

Sean, will you be fishing that whole weekend on LOTW? Your game plan basically sounds the same as mine. Maybe we’ll run into one another up there and compare notes. Thanks for the info.

Mark

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.