HOWS THE FISHIN ON RAINY?

• Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Hey Steve,
    have you been out lately, any good reports? I will be up at Ballards with a group of six guys on October 12th to the 19th.
    Can’t wait I will have to look you up when we get up there

bri_bigeyes
    Farmington, Minnesota

Steve-
    I’m heading up with a group on Nov 1st – 4th. Let me know how you do when you go. I’ve been up there a quite a few times around the time you are going. Give me a pm and maybe we can get together and share some tips. I’ve found that when you are going the walleyes are just beginning to enter the river. If the weather is normal (is it ever anymore?), you will probably have your best luck in the gaps or in 4-mile bay. The fish really don’t get up river until late October or early November in any good numbers or size. Fishing 4-mile bay can be really easy though. There is a well defined channel and you can either troll or jig along the break. Just watch your graph for the large pods of emerald shiners that go through. Whatever depth they are at, you want to be just below them with your bait. It seems like every time you see a pod go through, hang on, cuz the walleyes are right on their tail. I fish the Rainy in both the fall and the spring, and to be honest the fall can provide better and bigger fish if you hit it right. It’s nothing to catch a handful of 7 pound+ fish in a trip. Have fun!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Hi Brian,

this will be my 4th year up there, we have always went in mid October, but I have been tempted to go later as I have heard the fishing can be allot better. I have mostly jig fished up there but this year I am going to try some trolling, I also enjoy fighting with the northern up there and the sturgeon. Here is a pic of a sturgeon that I caught up there last year.

http://photomail.photoworks.com/sfwOnline/photomail/PMImageLarge.asp?P1=33915535&P2=15&size=2

Here is another of a Smallie

http://photomail.photoworks.com/sfwOnline/photomail/PMImageLarge.asp?P1=33915535&P2=16&size=2

Maybe this year we can get into some nice eyes last year all we got were eaters eyes, but everyone took home one limit! We also released allot them.

mapguide

Hi Steve,
    Sorry for the delay. I really do not have anything to add to add about the river at this point. I know the big talk has been about the bass. Anglers are getting some nice catches down around the pelland area. Some people are finding walleyes and smallies near the manitou rapids as well. Rainy Lake has been the main attraction up in this neck of the woods as of lately. But, fall is coming and the LOTW walleyes will once again be venturing into the mighty Raint Riv. You are exactly right, they will be chasing the emerald shiners.

Bouncing jigs will catch fish, but most trophy seekers pull cranks as the temps continue to cool. Number 7 and 9 Shad Raps get the nod as they are by far the favorites for the fishermen and fish alike.

See ya up here!!!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Hey Steve,

you get my blood boiling just talking about those RAINY RIVER EYES!!! I look forward to this trip every year all year long! I will definitely look you up so we can get some pics to go with one of your fishing reports. See ya in October!

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

Hoping to make a trip up the last week of September or first week of October for the front end of the Emerald Shinner run up the river. Haven’t been there since our second in the national championship. Three-waying up stream and jigging downstream , you gotta love it. Still haven’t broken 10 1/2 lb barrier up there. Maybe this will be the year. Good luck .If I make the trip,(guiding comes first), I’ll post what we found. Lawrence

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Thanks Lawrence,
    I will look for your report, good luck to you too!

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Steve,

I am planning a trip to Rainy for possibly the last week in October. We will most likely be up there from Thursday to Sunday type of trip.
    The other date we have in mind would be the weekend of the November 9th and 10th.
    Maybe we will see you up there or we can swap reports.

Good Luck to you and your party.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

We had our group meeting last night, 12 guys going up. I will let you know how we did when I get back. Can’t wait

JimW
    SE MN

fishhunt,

I’ll be on the Rainy River Thursdaay morning until Saturday morning! I’ll try to keep a few there for ya!

Jim W

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I appreciate that Jim, hopefully this will be my year to catch a hog

We will be on our way up when you are on your way back, good luck to ya, let us know how you do

JimW
    SE MN

Steve,
    Recently heard that waters temps are going down and larger fish have finally began making appearances.
    You guys are in for some nasty Weather Saturday and Sunday!! Bring your snow gear!!!hehehehe

Jim W

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I’ll be on the Rainy out of Clementson Resort from the 19th thru 26th….will report when I return.
    Clementson’s web site indicates the shiners are running, and smaller sized walleyes heading up river.
    Have not seen reports of the hawgs yet. We boated a 12-2 couple years back, several over 10,
    plus a 31# sturgeon on 6# line. Good clean fun!!

JimW
    SE MN

Just returned from Clementson’s and the Rainy!

In the main stretches of the river, the average size walleye was a tad small, but decent fish mixed in!
    We found some great action up in Birchdale! In fact, there were times when it was one after another.

WIth the bite going so strong, I decided to mix it up, tipping my jig with a ringworm. Caught some decent fish
    on plastics, including some (5) smallmoth over 18 inches! WIth thelargest just inder 20 inches! A true Football!

If things are slow, which I doubt(water temp was at a steady 48 degrees) head up to birchdale, but take it easy through there!

Keep the rods bendin’!!!!

Jim W

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Hi all,
    got back from Rainy on the 18, had a blast, everyone in our group caught fish. Things started out slow but picked up as the week went on, allot of small fish with 14″ to 18″ mixed in.
    The biggest fish caught in our group was 31″ & 10+lbs!
    here are some pics.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

The first pic is of Greg Bernard, nice fish Greg!

This pic is of Paul Schultze.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Paul is the guy who caught the biggest fish on the trip, unfortunately those pics did not turn out.

Paul also caught the smallest eye on the trip, hey Paul are you sure that’s not your bait

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Here is a pic of Rick Enright from Byron with two dandy eyes!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Last but not least, yours truly

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks for the fish photos Steve. Always enjoy seeing those. Photos and nice blue looking calm water, love it. Thanks, Bill

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Well done dude !! I have got to make one of these trips. Thanks for sharing .

JimW
    SE MN

Hey Steve, did you ever make it up to the Rapids in Birchdale? WHere did you have the best luck?

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Steve,

Also, did you guys jig most of the time? Did you guys pull cranks at all up there?
    Were all the fish “lake fish” or “river fish” that you caught?

Thanks

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I did not bring my boat this year, there was 5 boats in our group and each day you fished with someone different, no one wanted to trailer up to Birchdale. Our best spots were out by the wind sock across from Ballards, in front of RiverView in the middle of the river, & up river from RiverView is a feeder creek that comes in from the Canadian side, line up with the creek on MN side in about 19 to 21 feet of water, that’s where the 31″ came from. Most fish were caught on 3/4 jigs, Chartreuse & gold were the best colors. All the good fish were caught in the river, could only catch cigars on the lake. I did not get a chance to troll like I wanted to, next year I will take my boat and get some trolling in, I think this is the best way to produce some HOGS!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Here is Paul schultze of Grand Meadow with his 31″ Rainy River Walleye the fish went over 10lbs! This was the biggest walleye of the trip. Congratulations Paul

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Here is another pic of Paul with a 34″ 11# Northern I am sure Paul will remember this trip for years to come. Way to go bud

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

oooops looks like I goofed on those last too pics, I will see if I can fix that

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.