Rainy River fall run?

• irishman

Is there any report on the fall shiner run up the Rainy River? I heard they are staging in the gap. Has anyone been up there recently? Is anyone going shortly?

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

I’ll be up in 3 weeks. The rain that is forecasted for this weekend should help but a few inches would be better. Last year the river was low and the shiners didn’t make much of a run.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

google up “clementson resort” and check their fishing reports page. Look like they have shinners at the dock there!

-J.

18fisher
    Hastings,MN

I will be up October 4-9. Let’s hope the weather stays nice. Last year we got snowed on.

hnd

up there 4th-9th as well. gail said they are running good and a 2nd wave has come through. water temps still a little warm compared to last year but somewhat normalish.

last year, it took us about 4 days to figure out the bite real good. once we did though, we smacked the crap out of them.

dr-death
    Phillips, WI

Quote:

up there 4th-9th as well. gail said they are running good and a 2nd wave has come through. water temps still a little warm compared to last year but somewhat normalish.

last year, it took us about 4 days to figure out the bite real good. once we did though, we smacked the crap out of them.

Looks like with the increased flow, the shiners are starting to show up. We came up later last year and got snowed on too. We will be up on Monday through Fri. this week. Hopefully we’ll find some fish. Any tips you would be willing to share? I have the chip in my Humminbird, just a little point in the right direction would help. Thanks a bunch!!

hnd

we normally find about 18′ ft of water and just jig. this will be our first year using a map (navionics) however, last year we finally figured out that if you found the deepest water on the river, you found the walleyes. our last 3 days there was a catch fest staying in 24-25′ of water. if we drifted off into 23-22 the bite died. just get into the holes anchor up and jig em up.

dr-death
    Phillips, WI

Quote:

we normally find about 18′ ft of water and just jig. this will be our first year using a map (navionics) however, last year we finally figured out that if you found the deepest water on the river, you found the walleyes. our last 3 days there was a catch fest staying in 24-25′ of water. if we drifted off into 23-22 the bite died. just get into the holes anchor up and jig em up.

Thanks much for the info. Always appreciated. We put in at Vidas and fish up and down from there. We’ll find fish. Looks like the weather will cooperate this year. A little warmer surface temps than we want, but I think we’ll do OK. Good luck to everyone!!

hnd

you don’t have to move far from vidas. the hole thats down stream like 50ft and out in the middle is a great spot. also out in front of clementston bay will hold alot of fish.

DIRTBALL2
    WARROAD,MN.USA

Last Wednesday, the 25th, I was fishing out from the Gap in 25 to 30 feet of water! We did very well using a jig and frozen emerald shiner’s. We did notice on the graph that there were quite a few bait ball’s moving through the area we were fishing. If I remember correctly, the surface temperature was 60 degree’s! Everybody break a leg! DIRTBALL2

irishman

In the spring we have had good luck using plastics. Is anyone having luck using plastics in the fall? It also seems like everyone is fishing the deep holes in the fall. Is there any shallow shoreline bite like we have seen in the spring?
    Thanks for your feedback!

hnd

we don’t have any luck in the fall shallow. there was ONE time where i anchored on the top of the ledge out on clementson bay and dragged jigs up the big 10 ft ledge there and we caught a few walleyes right after dark that were coming in to feed on shiners.

sometimes we catch them in 12′ of water but thats very rarely in the 10 years we’ve gone.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

We got a quick 3 man limit Saturday evening but sunday and Monday was very slow. Launched at Vidas, fish came in 20 f.o.w. No big fish at all.

cheers and hooksets!

dr-death
    Phillips, WI

Quote:

In the spring we have had good luck using plastics. Is anyone having luck using plastics in the fall? It also seems like everyone is fishing the deep holes in the fall. Is there any shallow shoreline bite like we have seen in the spring? Thanks for your feedback. (quote)

You can pick up a fish her and there in the evenings when they start to slide a little shallower, but over all, the Fall bite is more of a deeper water bite. I hit a couple of upper end keepers on plastics & 1/8 oz. blades in orange and black in 15′ or less, but most of our fish came in 22′ to 24′ on meat. I guess you just have to adapt. I’m already looking forward to the spring run when I just pitch exclusively blades and plastics. Moxies and Pulse-R’s with H2O precision jigs. I prefer the gold flake jigs and white or chartreuse/ orange core plastics. It’s my experience that plastics take bigger fish overall. Don’t like messing with meat in the spring anyway!! Good luck all…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.