More Rainy River fun!!!

• dr-death
    Phillips, WI

My old high school buddy & I headed north on Monday to catch a couple days of the Rainy River phenomenon, and we weren’t disappointed. For 2 first time newbies, we did OK. PB’s for both of us, John’s being a 30.5″, 11.5 lb. giant!! Tuesday greeted us with 3″ of snow & wind, but we gave the river 9 hrs. anyway. Wednesday was beautiful and the fish responded in kind. Many, many fish from 25″ to 27″ & a handful bigger. Bfishin moxies & pulsars were absolutely the bait of choice, in white, chartreuse/orange core, & firecracker/chartreuse tail. The flow has really fallen off & the water temps never got above 39.7 on my graph. The rest of the week should be really good!! The vast majority of guys use jigs & minnows or pull cranks on bottom bouncers, but for my money, plastics is the only way to go. You need to hang on tight when they slam it, trust me. I will be counting the days until next spring!!!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Nice job, nice fish. I know that spot very well. That’s a good big fish spot.

I’m headed up tomorrow to close out the season. Who else will be there?

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

Well if you gotta twist my arm…. I will be up tomorrow as well. Bring the rain gear!

dr-death
    Phillips, WI

Quote:

Didn’t mean to be secretive at all, sorry about that. We stayed at Rainy River Retreat. Great bunch of guys & more than willing to share info & spots. We put in at Vidas, just down the road a half mile. No shortage of big fish caught. Many 30″ fish & lots of high 20’s. Quite frankly, I was totally awed!! I WILL get my replica fish out of that river one of these days. Tight lines all!!!!!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Great fish guys!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.