Lake Of The Woods For Opener Question

• gonzo50613
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Greetings,

We are heading to the Wigwam for the upcoming walleye opener and have a couple of questions.

How busy will the boat ramps be? I have never been for opener before but usually when we go up we leave home Friday early evening and arrive in time to put the boat in the water Saturday morning around 7am. I am wondering if I need to try and get up there earlier so that I won’t have to spend too much time waiting in line. I have heard some horror stories. Any suggestions?

Secondly, I am always open to any advice on how and where to fish. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Much

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I have never been to LOTW for opener, but with this wet cold spring, I wouldn’t look past the rainy river for some action. Those fish should still be in the river system if not close to it, which should have you fishing just outside the gap. If you have a marine band radio, turn it on scan mode to see how the resorts/charter boats are doing. Good luck.

jon johansen
    menomonie wi

Call the wigwam and ask this ? I’m sure they’ll give you your answer. JP and the guys at wigwam are alway willing to help you find fish. sometimes you don’t even have to ask

ccook
    Hastings Mn

Gonzo,
    I agree with Calvin, I’ld start in the river from the mouth at four mile bay to baudette. In years past shad raps and leadcore have done very well as well as spinners and bouncers. A good old jig and minnow combo might clean em up to. Thats the great thing, alot of options. Cover some ground and find em then clean up on em. Best of luck

cthemeyes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.