FYB Tournament – tactics used?

• phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

any word on what worked for the top teams? deep, shallow? plastics/live bait? vertical/pitching/dragging? etc.

was one tactic producing more than others?

thanks!

redneck
    Rosemount

That is a good question and I would like to hear the answer too. I don’t think the weights came from up by the dam though. I can tell you what got a guy close to the money but not quite. Super Dos put most of our fish in the boat—color you ask—Redneckcracker of course Don;t even bother buying the BK seni-crow blue ones—they couldn’t even catch a cold on a day like yesterday

proffy1

what are super dos? do you pitch drag or vertical jig them? Never heard of them, we tried jigging, dragging, casting to no avail. Must not of been holding our baits right. seen a few fish caught around us. A buddy and i have been down around 4 times now and can’t seem to unlock the secrets down there.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Those are Super Doo’s. I’ll let the guys that used them explain how to fish them.

I don’t have them mastered, all I ever catch with them is walleyes.

Of course Dean stocks them at Everts.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

poffy1,

First off, I’m not a walleye guide.

I would urge anyone that hasn’t fished the river much, but wants to learn the secrets quickly to hire a guide.

They will teach a person more in 8 hours than most anglers will figure out by themselves in 30 days on the water.

Experience is the key to catching fish and safety whether it’s experience gained by the angler spending the time out fishing or the experience is gained by the on the water instruction of a seasoned guide.

Marty Hahn
    Brett King
    Dustin Stuart
    River Rat Randy Stevens
    Greg Vandemark “Vandy”
    Turk Guirke is guiding too although I haven’t seen him lately.

Hope I didn’t miss anyone.

Good luck!

riverwrat
    Hastings/ Northfeild,MN

We took fifth and our best pattern was the ole stand by jig and minnow keeping it vertical was key and just barely off the bottum! Our four fish came out of 18 to 21 FOW and never hooked our fifth fish not from lack of trying either. We were lucky enough to to bag two fat females one which just an oz short of us winning big fish All the top teams were in the same area very awsome ran event big thanks to everyone involved!

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

Marty Hahn
    Brett King
    Dustin Stuart
    River Rat Randy Stevens
    Greg Vandemark “Vandy”

I believe you did miss someone

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Vertical jigging in 17′-20′ FOW worked well for Otiseyes and myself.

I would highly recomend hiring a guide if you do not have alot of experience out there. Did so myself last year, and will be doing it again this summer.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Vertical jigging hair jigs with meat. Was not fast at any point, we picked up our fish through out the alloted time. We stayed a bit deeper in the 20′-24′ area.

Poffy, It can be a frustrating game. I have only been fishing the river for 3 years. Its still tough to kick the “lake habits”, throw current in there and boat controll now…

Just stick with it guys and watch the reports and methods guys are using. Good Luck, Mark

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

Marty Hahn
    Brett King
    Dustin Stuart
    River Rat Randy Stevens
    Greg Vandemark “Vandy”

Quote:

You missed the “Grizz” BK!
    not to mention Jason and Jarrod
    I know all the guides and have fished with several of them…I will say a day trip will garner you YEARS of knowledge. They all know many techniques but have expertise in certain areas.
    Call them and tell them what you want to accomplish on the water…catch lots of eaters? ? Run/Gun for Big Girls? casting plastics? casting blades? pulling rigs/cranks?

As a *Guide I know I can serve my clients better if I know what they want to accomplish and if it is possible with the given water conditions.

* I am not licensed to Guide on the Mississippi and do not… I am more than happy to share information on P-4…my favorite walleye/sauger spot!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

You missed the “Grizz” BK!
    not to mention Jason and Jarrod

Is Jarrod guiding with his new job?

I haven’t seen the Grizz at Everts…well, ever.

And the last time I spoke with Jason, he didn’t have a OUPV license and was only guiding on Wissota.

No…I don’t think I missed anyone.

proffy1

thanks for the support, i’ll definitely be back in the next couple weeks. i recall a post recently about walleye guys and why we do it, and i think this is another reason to do it because of the challenge. keeps you coming back not wanting to keep the tail between your legs in defeat, and figure more out for the next time

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

i think this is another reason to do it because of the challenge. keeps you coming back not wanting to keep the tail between your legs in defeat, and figure more out for the next time

More rewarding for sure!!

Hope to see you down there sometime!

Steve Vick
    New London, MN

Quote:

Sorry had to do it

Dean, I want my buzzbait back!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.