E-readers

• Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

So anyone have one? Tell me all you know please. I’m a constant reader with bad tendonitis, hands don’t do well holding a book. Thanks, CZ.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

I’ve been reading books on my phone and pda for probably 5 years. Love it. Books is always handy, whether waiting in line or other unexpected delays. Quiet a few free readers for most any smart phone…

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

We have a ‘Nook’ from B&N. Bought it for my wife a year ago. She loves it and now reads all the time. The technology on these things is getting better all the time. But it’s nice to be able to book shop from your computer or Nook and then just download the books via WIFI or ‘cell phone’ like reception.

They hold thousands of books in memory too.

ET

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

I got my mom a kindel for Christmas. She said it’s the best gift she’s ever gotten. Lotsa of free books and games and the screen has something called e-ink that makes it look just like a book page. I got her the 3G one so she can download books anywhere.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Not to hijack this post, but for the guys who have them and use them, do you get a headache from reading on a small screen?

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

My mom said it’s not a problem. I think the screen is 5×7 and you can make the font as big as you want.

doubleshot
    Brooklyn Park, MN

The wife got a Kindle for Christmas and she loves it. Has already read a ton of books, and finds it easier to use/read while hitting the gym exercise equipment (if that applies to you)

I have read a couple books on it as well and found it very easy to read. No complaints.

jbb
    Minneapolis area

My wife and daughter love thier Kindles. They use them everyday. Amazon also lets you download the first three chapters of any book for free before you buy it.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

That would be handy.

I just can’t see paying the $$ they want right now?

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Quote:

Not to hijack this post, but for the guys who have them and use them, do you get a headache from reading on a small screen?

I’m reading on my phone and never had an issue. The Kindle and what not are like the size of a regular book so no size issues there. Plus you can change the fonts to your liking.

The one caveat would be reading something on an LCD screen vs paper. Never been a problem for me but if reading on a computer bugs you, it would probably bug you on a phone or a Kindle…

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I bought my wife the Nook Color for x-mas. She loves it!! The nice thing about a color screen is you do not have to have a light to read at night. You can also surf the net and Check IDO with it when ever you want!!

doubleshot
    Brooklyn Park, MN

[quoteThe one caveat would be reading something on an LCD screen vs paper. Never been a problem for me but if reading on a computer bugs you, it would probably bug you on a phone or a Kindle…

I would disagree with this statement in regards to the Kindle.
    It is not a backlit display with color. Very easy on the eyes, yes you would need a light if reading in the dark, but it is supposed to mimic reading a book and not be harmful to eyes like a computer screen

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Personally if it were me I would consider something more along the lines of and iPad, or android tablet device. (my preference would be towards the android section) Mainly because for a little more than the e-reader it’s self you have much more in the palm of your hands. That is just me. I know people who use the kindle and love it, and I know people who use the iPads with e-reader apps such as Kindle app and love that too. Just a thought.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

For Christmas we bought my mom a color Nook. She loves it. It is easy to use and the color makes it good for Magazine subsriptions or reading children’s book to the grandchildren.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Saw a story in Rochester paper about them. Guess the library here can connect to Nook but not the Kindle. Not sure on details. Just FYI

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Bought the bride a Kindle for Xmas and I haven’t seen her since… Not sure if that was good or bad.

I looked at various brands but in the end I figured Amazon must have gotten it right the first time as they’ve sold a few million of them… So far she’s telling me she loves it.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

It seems like you guys bought them for your ladies too soon. I’m feeling like I should get her one in about late May…………

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Don’t tell me I need a man in my life to buy me one please!

About the library thing, I heard that they have a format for books (epub?) that works with the nook but not the kindle? I suppose an iPad would be nice, but wow $400 for starters is a bit much and I’m honestly just thinking reading. I must be getting old…

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

We have the nook color and it is pretty sweet.
    The differences between the nook and the kindle is pretty much how you operate it. The kindle acts more like a notebook in that you have a keyboard and a key to turn the pages. The nook acts more like a ipad-the screen and ways to navigate around is all touch screen.

Both are very easy to use and downloading a book takes no time. It is also pretty sweet that you can get your newspaper or magazine downloaded to the device.

pdl
    Bayport/St. Croix/Otsego/Grand Rapids

Today’s bulldog section in the Pioneer Press has a
    troubling account of poor customer service on an e-book
    thru a major book outlet.

DrewH
    s/w WI.

My wife and I have the Mac.We both can not say a bad word about them. I needed the function of enlarging the size of print.It does every thing our lap does but have not tried it all.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.