lund or alumicraft better description

• avalanche59

for what i’ll use it for tiller model, river and lake fishing, walleye and northern fishing, trolling and just pan fishing, just about 16ft. for 3 people to fish comfortable. the lund i looked at was the rebel xl 1625 with 40 horse merc. 4 stroke never looked at alumicraft yet freind told me to look at em. thanks 4 input

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I have a 17 ft boat and I don’t think it fishes 3 people comfortably. You want to get 3 in a 16 ft boat comfortably?

igotone

Here is a very nice one

LINK

2 fish three out of

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

The width of a boat (any brand) can go a long way to fishing 2-3 people comfortably. I have the Alumacraft Navigator 175t and depending on the fishing, 3 can be tight. This boat is 95″ wide and just over 17′ long. Many 16′ boats will have a beam of 74″ – 85″ and will feel very different. I would suggest sitting in a few boats to get the feel of them before you buy.

Good luck

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I have an 02 aluma magnum 165 60hp yammi. My dad has the rebel 16’40hp honda 4 stroke. Both tiller.

I’m not sure if they still make the Mag but the wider and deeper offers MUCH more room. But I do not like fishing 3 out of my boat, trolling 3 lines aint too bad but on Wi side of superior 9 lines gets pretty creative.

Also rod storage in all these sizes suck and bow storage is minimal in the Lund.
    Hope u find what makes you happy. -Mark

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I have an Alumacraft Lunker 16′ 40 Honda tiller. I have fished with 4 pan fishing in a lake. 3 jig fishing a lake. 3 jig fishing a river ( can be a little bit of a pain with the current and snags) 3 trying to troll (not good) 2 works pretty good. It’s 76″ wide 16.6′ long, I could use a little more width. I’ve been in bigger boats and 3 still seemed crowded. If you have 3 or 4 people in the boat that know what they are doing vs 1 or 2 that haven’t a clue, it makes a huge difference.

nathan_schott
    Cheboygan MI

I do alot of fishing in the summer and use two different boats. one of the boats is my dads a 14′ lund adventure all bench seats with two mounted swivel seats. the other is my 14′ alumacraft same setup. when its just me and a buddy i tend to take my boat but when i go out with a three i definately take the lund. the lund seems to hold the weight a little better and is a little deeper. my boat the alumacraft may be wider but its a little more tipsy and has less leg room. if you are not worried about tangling lines every once and a while and are just looking to go out and have a good time on the water either will work. ive trolled six lines out of the lund where as in my boat only three. i also store my rods in my garage so i dont have to worry about boat storage. yes fishing three in a sixteen foot boat can be a little crazy at times but thats half of the fun. i would also look at smokercraft by buddy has a 16′ smoker craft that we have fished four on before. i guess its just all about what you are comfortable with. personally i would be happy fishing on a rubber raft but i guess thats just me

cupspits

i got the lund rebel 1625 and fish three all the time great boat

backlasher
    Fridley, Mn

I would definitely take a look at an Alumacraft Navigator 165. These boats cost the same, and give you a little more room.

superdave
    NE IA

I have an Alumacraft Navigator 165 tiller. Its a nice boat and fishes 3 pretty easy with the 91″ beam. I had an older Alumacraft with the narrower 80″ beam, and the extra width makes a huge difference. My only recomendation would be to put atleast a 70 or 75hp on it. I have a 60 Merc and its slow with more than one person.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

I had a 17 lunker Alumacraft (50 merc)and 3 was a challenge when trolling unless your back trolling. The rig was just to narrow. Look for the wider rig, and, also one comment was made regarding HP…maximize it when ever you get the chance, you’ll never regret that.

dog2th
    Omaha, NE

I had a Lund Rebel 1625 w/ 40 up tiller and that thing screamed across the water. It was okay stability wise with 3 adults in it, better with 2 adults and a kid. I think your boat fits you and not the other way around. If you have limited floorspace or rod storage then you just take less stuff.
    Just don’t try running across LOTW in a 16 footer w/ a 40 horse in 20 mph winds. Dangerous.
    I remember an old timer once told me the difference between a Lund and Alumacraft was that the Alumacraft sits on the water, the Lund sits in the water. After owning both, find that to be correct. Neither one is a bad choice, just which one fits you.

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

i have an Alumacraft 165cs, and it works for me. do i want something bigger – YES. but for what i can get right now, it works for me. I prefer to only fish with one other when walleye fishing, as it just opens the boat up a lot more. but for catfishing at night, i have been known to pile 4 to 5 people in the boat, and it isn’t a big deal.

it has handled everything mille lacs has thrown at me, just not the softest or driest ride in really rough water.

on the river, i would never feel uncomfortable, except in tuna boat rollers, that you need a 24′ cruiser to comfortably take on at full speed.

i will say though, my next boat will be a 19′ glass boat with a 200-225 on it. buy big and be done with it for a while.

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

OK, A Lund Rebel 1625 is rated for a 40hp max and the rebel 1625 XL is rated for a 60hp tiller. I would power that boat as close to max as possible. I have an Alumacraft Navigator 165 walkthru and have had 3 guys fish out of it fine. A tiller has even more room and should fish 3 easily. The nice thing about the Alumacraft is that you can have ANY engine you want–even a Merc.

mojogunter

Quote:

The nice thing about the Alumacraft is that you can have ANY engine you want–even a Merc.

There are way too many people saying you can only buy a Lund with a Merc, this isn’t true. You can get a Lund without a Mercury on it. Here are just a few boats from my local dealer in all different types and sizes of boats with Yamaha outboards.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.