Roofing advice

• Indytransplant
    Pierre, S.D.

Does anyone know why I would have curled heat damaged shingles on the east side of my roof but not the west. Insurance company said I need to replaced the shingles this spring to keep the better coverage. I’m using 220# 3 tab and I’m told its a ventalation problem. West side of roof and garage look fine. have trees on both east and west side. Extra note; shingles are 15 years old, bought as 25 year shingles.
    thanks stonecutter

jerry b
    western WI

Certainteed shingles??? That might answer your question. I think there’s a class action suit against them right now. They replaced material but not labor on my roofs a few yrs back. Check the net, there should be plenty of info there. jerr

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Quote:

Certainteed shingles??? That might answer your question. I think there’s a class action suit against them right now. They replaced material but not labor on my roofs a few yrs back. Check the net, there should be plenty of info there. jerr

x2 I’m certainteed

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

Quote:

x3 Certainteed junk. Curled edges and cupped tabs. Before the class action lawsuit I threatened to sue them. Got a payout for materials but not any labor

big_g
    Isle, MN

I used Certainteed on a small shed, I built about 12 years ago…(20 yr shingle) they are so curled and actually pulling up on all edges… JUNK Never has this shed been exposed to anything but the weather we have, no heat in shed ever ??? I recommend using GAF Timberline Ultra…. or any GAF product, ahead of Certainteed, especially in our climate.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

X4 on Certanteed. Had them curl so bad on a garage at 7 years I had to replace. In my case only side that curled got full sun.

Indytransplant
    Pierre, S.D.

I don’t know if they were certantied, invoice says super seal. Would be nice if they were certaintied as will have to get about 27 squares with underlayment. How would I find who made them. Went online as suggested. Shingles were made by Globe and to my bad luck is no longer in buisness.

PowerFred

go with an architectural shingle, or better yet, steel. Steel is double the price, but the 50 year lifespan more than makes up for it.

seeds
    SE WI

How about elaborating a little more on the ventilation issue. Is there good airflow between the soffit and attic vents?

I have a cape cod with a dormer. The dormer went to he11 first and worst. It was a completely isolated space with no ventilation at all… Then the area above the 45* ceiling went next,kind’a as you described. I had ceiling,insulation,then roof,with no consideration for airflow between the soffit vents (and space behind kneewalls) and the attic…The attic was decently ventilated,it just had no flow up from the soffit vents.

I replaced the roof 2 years ago.

This winter I removed the insulation in the 45* part of the ceiling.”Widened” the rafters by 6″,installed rafter baffles (vents). I replaced the rock wool insulation with 10″,R-30,then new drywall….And more soffit vents and a couple more attic vents…There’s now good airflow between the soffit and attic vents.

Enlarged the bathroom,”moved” walls,new windows,carpet (this week,PLEASE?) and tile and completely rewired the electric…New 2nd floor entryway door and outside landing,35’000 btu gas wall furnace…

And if I don’t get fishing soon I’m going to get locked up in a rubber room and never get to enjoy my remodel.

All because our 2 darling little children need their own bedrooms (13 and 11,boy and girl)….And – of course – the ventilation/heating issues.

mower
    Wisconsin, Outagamie

Quote:

go with an architectural shingle, or better yet, steel. Steel is double the price, but the 50 year lifespan more than makes up for it.

x2
    nix the 3 tab

Indytransplant
    Pierre, S.D.

mower; I talked to the suppliers today and will be going to archetecural shigles. Do to local code they will be easi er to deal with. Supplier quoted me about same cost per square but had to have special underlayment and 1×2 under. Also told me the same hailstone that would take out shingles would require replacement of steel roofing. on a separate note had roof inspected today and was told insurance will have hail damage to cover and might cover cost of new materials.

Indytransplant
    Pierre, S.D.

Seeds; my material supplier said that I have enough roof vents but when the atic was reinsulated the soffit vents were not increased to alow adequit air flow. That will be corrected.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.