Garage Fridge

• moler02
    Iowa, Knoxville

Just when I thought I was getting to know something. We got a new fridge and put the old one in the garage. Wife said it wouldn’t freeze the stuff she just put in but everything else was frozen. My repair guy told me to turn the heater on, it would start working when it saw 38 degrees. He was right.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Most refrigerators won’t work in a unheated garage, reason being the cold control/thermostat reads the fresh food section and not the freezer.

The FF section usually runs about 38-42 degree’s and cooler than normal temps outside of it will cause the compressor not to run, thus warm temps in freezer.
    fwiw
    Al

gary d
    cordova,il

I do not know if that is true, but I have one in a stand alone garage. All I do is put cardboard up the back with tape and put old towels around the bottom of the fridge.I was told you want the air flow to be block off. I use to have thing freeze up all the time. It has work for many years for me. Made it all year so far in this real cold winter. good luck!!!

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

I did that once too…the first year, lost a whole freezer full of salmon and deer!!
    Bought a chest for the basement, and in the winter used the garage fridge for extra milk, soda, etc.

Dave C
    Bettendorf, Iowa

I was told by Sears that putting a new refrig in a garage would void the warranty. Don’t know if that is true, but I got a Gladiator which is designed for garages – hot summers and cold winters. It has a built in heater and extra insulation. A few hundred dollars more, but works like a charm.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

I must be Lucky then, I got an Old Fridge when we bought our house from my old Apt. 13 years ago and stuck that in the Garage along with a New Upright Freezer.

No problems with either one this whole time. Yes, Water and other things all freeze up sitting in the garage, no Heater, but walls are insulated, ceiling/Roof is not.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.