individual cell phone plans

• drifter295
    Hastings MN

ok so it’s about time I ditched my land line and got into the techno age of communications. I’ve looked at a few company plans and have a quick question….I will only be using the phone for calls and possibly a text or2, nothing else…..walmart has the familymobile plan for 45 a month that’s actually provided by t-mobile…t-mobile offers the same service for 69.00 a month.
    does anyone have the family mobile plan or have any comments, it appears to be a no brainer for what I need but I’m interested in opinions on t-mobile service, or experiences, thanks

icepromk
    sw wi

about time. theres ice on the lakes but its not the ice age! if u r looking for great coverage verizon is where u want to be. little pricey but the best out there. wife has a sprint account, they are terrible, texts come an hour later, calls not received sometimes even when called ten times. phone just doesnt ring, then u get a voicemail an hour later. no at&t or t mobile around me so i couldnt tell ya about them. my bro has the walmart thing for 50 bucks a month with no contract, i think it is on the verizon network also which is a plus. seems to like it. i think that is the way to go will definatly switch to that when contract is up. 50 is way better than 85 that paying now. hope that helps.

HowieT
    Eden Prairie,MN

Everything depends on where you are using it. In the twin cities, either Verizon or Sprint will be fine. The texting issues are usually more a phone issue than a carrier issue. Blackberries have had this problem and still do. If you travel to northern Minnesota,Verizon doesn’t work as good as Sprint. Northern Wisconsin is the opposite. T-Mobile is the worst rated out of the major carriers in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

kroger3
    blaine mn

verizon, there spendy over the others but you get what you pay for. works for me pretty much every where I go. Mille lacs, red lake, winnie, LOW, rainy lake, rainy river, duluth, P2, P4, alexandria area, even in the big horn mountains in wyoming.

abra

We don’t use the phone much and went with the track phone that wall mart carries. No monthly fee. For a hundred and twenty dollars we got 1000 minutes and a year to use them, if you run out of minutes you purchace more which also extends your year contract. If you lose the phone or it gets damaged and quits your minutes are gone. Have had it for about six months and no problems so far. When we bought the phone it was a double minute plan and as long as you have that phone the next time you buy minutes they well be doubled also. We each got a phone so it was 240 dollars but six months of no phone bills and I’ve still got 800 minutes, the Mrs. isn’t doing that well but still has 500 or so. Working out well so far. Also no roaming charges, good anywhere in the country. They own no tower but lease from all the towers.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Quote:

We don’t use the phone much and went with the track phone that wall mart carries. No monthly fee. For a hundred and twenty dollars we got 1000 minutes and a year to use them, if you run out of minutes you purchace more which also extends your year contract. If you lose the phone or it gets damaged and quits your minutes are gone. Have had it for about six months and no problems so far. When we bought the phone it was a double minute plan and as long as you have that phone the next time you buy minutes they well be doubled also. We each got a phone so it was 240 dollars but six months of no phone bills and I’ve still got 800 minutes, the Mrs. isn’t doing that well but still has 500 or so. Working out well so far. Also no roaming charges, good anywhere in the country. They own no tower but lease from all the towers.

On the subject of loosing your minutes…..I have a Tracfone and my first one got damaged. If you register the phone on the tracfone site, you can transfer the minutes to a new phone which I did. I think if you loose it you can transfer the minutes also, but not real sure on that one.

abra

Thanks, did’nt know that the minutes are protected. Hope not to need to but good to know. Did’nt think track phone was correct either but at least somebody figured it out.

Dave G
    Rochester, MN

Three of us in the family do not use much cell time and have been using Virgin Mobile for many years. $15 every 3 months with auto top up, that is $60/year for 333 minutes. Unused minutes keep rolling over. Uses Sprint network. Phones are good quality starting at $20 and last about 2-3 years before the battery starts getting weak.

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

IF T-mobil will work in your area it may be the cheapest. Yes if you travel alot to different areas it does not have the best coverage. I live in the cities and it works well for me. I have never had a dropped call. First you buy a Samsung t-139 T-mobil no contract phone at Target, Walmart, whearever. Then take the phone to T-mobil and get a no contract family plan. The plan I have is $49.95 plus tax. 750 min., no texting 5.00 per extra phone,can have up to 5 phones on contract. Total bill for 2 phones around $65.00. The Samsung T-139 phone is pretty much just a phone but it does work real well. Have had this plan and phone about a year now. Works for me!

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Quote:

Everything depends on where you are using it. In the twin cities, either Verizon or Sprint will be fine. The texting issues are usually more a phone issue than a carrier issue. Blackberries have had this problem and still do. If you travel to northern Minnesota,Verizon doesn’t work as good as Sprint. Northern Wisconsin is the opposite. T-Mobile is the worst rated out of the major carriers in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

I am from SD and vacation in N. Mn and N. Wi. I have verizon and never have problems.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.