Ever seen this?

• 2iceman
    Gem Lake, Minnesota

Caught a few of these this fall and was wondering what happened to these little guys? Pool 4

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Yep, we’ve had similar pics quite often here. Best guess to my knowledge is an injury from predation or other cause as a fry/fingerling. Also some speculation it could be genetic. I’ve seen pics from pool 2 to 16, so although unusual they are not terribly uncommon. That is one of the most dramatic crooks I’ve seen though. Looks like he could have used a little from the doc to get straight again.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

Have seen several over the years.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Quote:

Caught a few of these this fall and was wondering what happened to these little guys? Pool 4

That is what the Mississippi waters will do to you, they glow green at night too. How did he taste?

turk802
    Twin Cities

That’s one way to make the fish fit in the slot…

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Many times. I’m told it is due to a parasite getting into the egg during development and basically causing a form of Scoliosis in the fish.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

How do you clean them? Do you have a special crooked knife for cutting around corners?

Jaya
    Zimmerman, MN

Its scoliosis. I used to raise guppies. happens quite often.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Its scoliosis. I used to raise guppies. happens quite often.

Funny you should say that, because every time I see a picture of one of these fish it reminds me of the male guppy I affectionately called Humpy.

budd1980
    IGH MN

Im just saying… Im not eating it or anything else outta that river.

icepromk
    sw wi

Quote:

Many times. I’m told it is due to a parasite getting into the egg during development and basically causing a form of Scoliosis in the fish.

you could be right but im pretty sure that it is a pretty small percentage of fry that survive to adulthood. now, what is the percentage of a crooked backed, scoliosis having fry surviving? that thing would look like prime rib to a northern or bass flailing around when it was 2″ long. dont quote me but maybe it has something to do with the swim bladder. ive had it come out the mouth when you horse em up from 40 feet, maybe that fish had a full belly or something and the swim bladder couldnt come out the throat??

2iceman
    Gem Lake, Minnesota

Has the DNR ever commented on this deformation? Maybe I should be sending it to them. Is this a saugeye? Could this be the results of cross breeding? I just noticed all the spots on the fin.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

This is what happens when B.K. spreads around his stink bait

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.