Emergency generators?

• AllenW
    Mpls, MN

OK, after the last 3 days without power I’ve come to the conclusion that running back and forth to the garage to keep a 25 year old generator running and trying not to bother the neighbors with all the noise it makes just isn’t fun anymore.

I’m thinking of a stationary small unit that runs on natural gas and probably about 8-10kW depending on whether her highness needs A/C or not.

I see Generac has then for about $2,000, while not cheap I guess, it does seem to be a better alternative than what I have now.

Anybody done this and have any suggestions???
    tia

Al

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Off topic some what.

I we were without power in 98ish for 4 days. Winter and below zero. I said never again…and by the summer of ’99 I had a 4000 w. Generac

Since then I’ve needed it exactly twice. Once for 6 hours and another time for 2.

This moment I have the carb off in my garage because of the gunk built up in it and it won’t run. Yes Sea Foam didn’t work it’s magic this time.

If you have the extra $2k go for it. Otherwise run a cord over to your neighbors so they aren’t so grumpy.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Most 4 stroke generators can be converted to lp or natural gas but it will void any warranties…

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Does NG or LP have the same issues as BK eludes to? I would think carb gunk would be a gas/deisel issue only?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Good point Czech, both burn cleaner and allow for a much longer oil life.

kroger3
    blaine mn

shouldnt be any gunk problems with LP or NG. Friend of mine has a Honda EU2000 converted over to LP and never has had an issue. in not sure on run time but he says cost wise its cheaper on LP and no gas to mess with and runs quiter.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

No gunking was the reason I want to go with natural gas, little maintance and in 28+ years here we’ve never been with out Nat Gas.

Ya 2k for as little as you use them is a lot, and I’m figuring probably more with the rest of the electrical set up, but enough is enough.

Second choice might just be a portable that’s resonably quiet, probably makes more sense, maybe..??

Al

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

$2000 will get you at least a few days in a pretty nice hotel

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

$2000 will get you at least a few days in a pretty nice hotel

But problably a few frozen pipes and headaches when you return.

IMHO, get a quality smaller generator that will allow you to deal with short term outages. Honda makes some really sweet smaller options that could also work in your ice house or for many other situations.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Wouldnt renting one be a option. United or one of the other major rental places should have some on hand. Us it for a few days and then be done with it until many years later when it is needed again.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Good idea’s, thanks.

Another guy at work said he has a smaller unit that will power his furnace and one refrigerator, smaller may be better and I’d have a generator to drag around.

Oh..can’t forget the wife’s hair dryer, heaven help she goes anywhere with wet hair…:)

Thanks all.

Al

riverbassman

The permanent type 10KW or so generators come LP or Natural gas ready……. with a small conversion kit to go back/forth. They are the way to go, they automatically start when the power is out for 30 seconds and will rub/supply power as long as there is fuel.
    Wiring is not easy for the average guy. You need a sub panel and have the breakers you want backed up on that panel (unless you buy a LARGE generator to do the whole house). I used to sell/install Generac, Coleman and other brands and they were about $4,000 (10KW)completely installed. If I lived in an area of frequent power outages, I would have one. Frozen pipes in winter after an ice storm that you just happened to be away from the house for two days COULD cost a ton more!!!
    I also have experience with larger generators backing up fire Departments, EMS, etc. Whole different price range there, but relitively same concept/technology.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I have been looking at generators for the past two years or so going back and forth between portable or stationary. The price on the portables has really come down. Being we are in the country and need to power a well for water I picked up a 8750 KW surge and 7500 kw continuous electric start for $599 plus tax. Which will power our whole operation except electric stove. If I am careful it will power the conditioner.

There is a company where I can get a conversion kit to run LP or gas for $89, much cheaper then buying one already set up to run LP and gas.

I picked up a automatic generator transfer switch off of E-bay for $149 which will automatically start the generator if I so choose. It was cheaper since I did not need the circuit breakers, the generator is large enough to handle the load with some common sense.

The generator is one of those things you hope you never need and will probably die of old age versus wore out. …But peace of mind is worth something to. And being portable if need be I can use it anywhere.

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

I live in the country and about 4 years ago installed a 13kw Guardian. It self test every week and is set up with LP. Have’nt had to use it much but the piece of mind when the power goes out is “priceless”. The unit came with everything you need to wire it up including the tranfer switch. I was able to wire it up myself except for making the tranfer from my box to the tranfer switch. Considering the one time cost to do this and looking at the what it could cost you with a long outage, it’s cheap insurance with only one premium for as long as you own your home.

Yes it would pay for a motel or you could rent a generator, but you better be first in line because you generally are’nt the only one without power. When we have an outage will you be home to run your cords and fire it up? Roads could be impassable and the weather would be at it’s worst and during this type of situation you have your family to gather and tend to with out having to try and rig up some sort of piecemeal generator sytem. Been there done that, not doing it again. I’ll never own a home without a back up system. Sorry about the rant, we generally urine away more money on lures and fishing stuff than it would cost to put a decent system in to protect our family and home.

I’m not an electrician but any time that you plug something into a generator with out taking it out of your electrical sytem creates feed back and when power is restored I’m not sure what happens, some one correct if I’m wrong or could shed more light on this subject.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Code is to have a transfer switch.

In a pinch simply turning off your MAIN breaker will keep power going out of your house and potentially killing a power line working thinking the line is dead.

Also when the power comes back on, it generally fries your generator if there isn’t a transfer switch or the main isn’t shut off.

Another trick an old boy told me was to prepare an extension cord with two male ends. One goes into the generator the other into a wall socket. This will feed your electric panel and power your house.

After a little thought about the above “trick”, I came to the realization that a person would have to be very careful with the wattage/amperage going into that outlet. I’m guessing it would be a good way to start a fire if a person wasn’t careful.

riverbassman

Be careful with back feeding into the power line!! Even with a transfer switch (or wrong transfer switch) that might be improperly hooked up, you can back feed and hurt someone OR wreck the power companies equipment. If this happens, they will be looking for someone to pay!!!!
    Tom P…… speaking as a person who has been in the business, I am not sure what you speak of will work? If you dont have a seperate panel, when the Transfer Switch “transfers” over to the generator, if you are not there to turn stuff off, you could have a start up overload in a heartbeat. Imagine it is hot, humid out and your air is on and a few other things……you are gone and a wind storm hits/knocks out power. the transfer switch does it’s job and the generator powers up and has to feed all the stuff you have on….. a 7,500 unit will not stand up. Idea of the transfer switch is to be automatic so you dont have to be there

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

I’m assuming you can use only certain circuits and by pass the not enough power problem, depending on generator size??

I think with most outlets being 15 amp? rated, plugging a generator into one might be a way to overload them and cause a problem/fire?

Al

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

Be careful with back feeding into the power line!! Even with a transfer switch (or wrong transfer switch) that might be improperly hooked up, you can back feed and hurt someone OR wreck the power companies equipment. If this happens, they will be looking for someone to pay!!!!
    Tom P…… speaking as a person who has been in the business, I am not sure what you speak of will work? If you dont have a seperate panel, when the Transfer Switch “transfers” over to the generator, if you are not there to turn stuff off, you could have a start up overload in a heartbeat. Imagine it is hot, humid out and your air is on and a few other things……you are gone and a wind storm hits/knocks out power. the transfer switch does it’s job and the generator powers up and has to feed all the stuff you have on….. a 7,500 unit will not stand up. Idea of the transfer switch is to be automatic so you dont have to be there

I was never planning it on being automatic start just was an option with the automatic switchover I purchased. But a good point.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.