Treble Hooks

• coot
    North Central Wisconsin

I need to order some trebles for tieing spinner rigs & for replacements on cranks. In the past I have used Mustad Triple Grips. Would like to try something different this year, but don’t want to spend a lot of time experimenting with a bunch of different brands and models. Would sure appreciate some advice from fellow IDAers. What brand and models do you prefer and why? Thanks for the input.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

No complaints here with the Gamakatzu trebles. They are bonded with lead which seems to keep them down below the crank for better positioning for strikes. They are also strong and super sharp.

grampajimh
    Delmar, IA

I also am very interested in this same topic. I’ve read good things about both the Mustad Triple Grips and the Gamakatzu. I also have wondered about the red Gamakatzu for crankbaits. It would give kind of a diferent look to say a shad color Shadrap.

illinois

in my opinion the red hooks are all right but i wouldnt over do it to much ill put 1 red hook on my rattle traps seemed to catch the white bass plus the red hook with use will fade and rubb the redd off on some brands i believe diechies was the ones i seen fade quickly around rocks

i use the gamakatsu ewg trebel on my baits if the bait come with a mustad tripple grip or a standard gamakatsu hook i leave them on there most other hoocks i replace with the ewg hook

the reason i dont over do the red is how often have you seen where a bass would bite a crankbait with a little red on the belley and you lost it and the same bait had a little more red but they didnt bite it

seems when i first read about the red it was one hook now every bait has 2 or more red hooks in alot of stuff to catch fisherman

rember red shows up best in dirty water and in clear water disappears the fastest

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Coot, I still like the triple grip if I’m replacing hooks on cranks, they do seem to hold nicely on fish, do you have some negative experience with them that you want to try a diff hook this year?? Jack.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I love triple grips for there holding ability. But they do have one draw back. They won’t let go when you need them to.
    I experience this especially with brown trout on Lake Michigan. You get the fish in the net, but by the time you can get the hooks out of the fish’s mouth, well the hook is more than a little deformed. After bending it back to normal a few times, they simply fall apart.
    Other than that, they are my favorite treble hook.
    JWB

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

Lots of guys on IDA are using Gamakatsu’s as replacement trbles. Try the Extra Wide Gap models. I was using these until I got here in this snag and pike infested waters here on Devils Lake.

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

Jack,
    I really don’t have any negative experiences with the triple grips, I have used them for quite a few years myself. I had a few fish come unbuttoned last year and just wonder if the trebles had anything to do with it. I know there are alot of factors that can cause a fish to come unbuttoned and I am just questioning what role the hooks played. I guess I am just fishing around to see what else is out there and what other guys have had success with. I would feel comfortable ordering the triple grips again, but if there is something better out there, I want to use them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.