BOAT COVER QUESTION

• flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Ya or Nay IDO faithful…

I’m thinking about getting a boat & travel cover…it is the Aqua-shield 600 denier (Performance Aqua Shield Trailer-able)material.

What say you all about this?

Many thanks

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m not familiar with that material. Or if I am I don’t know it by name. Who makes it or can you drop a link to more info?

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Great idea James…sorry I should included this link…

Boat Cover

Seems to be one of the best prices around for the same material….

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I have not heard of that material either, if it were me I would go with TOP GUN it is by far the best material out there when it comes to boat covers!

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I had a cover made for my 1950 Tyee this spring and can not say enough about Top Gun. Water proof, can’t rip or tear. Color retention as well. Here is the product.

Base Fabric
    •American made texturized Polyester Duck.
    •High Count provides outstanding tensile and tear strength.
    •Multi-ply construction for maximum wear and abrasion resistance.
    Coating
    •Specially formulated polymeric coating that will not harden, crack or peel.
    •Highly water resistant but permeable to water vapor.
    •Coating formulated to be resistant to mildew, sunlight, and atmospheric chemicals.
    Finished Fabric
    •Highest Strength.
    •Maximum abrasion — puncture resistance.
    •Highly water resistant, yet breathable.
    •Dimensionally stable, less than 1% shrinkage or elongation.
    •62 inch finished width.
    •Available in 16 colors.
    •Five year manufacturers warranty.

http://topgunboatcovers.com/TG.htm

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

So is this just the material and you have to get the cover made?

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

I looked at the Top Gun stuff, seems to be only about 70 inch wide max finished.

I need a lot more than that. This one I can get in any custom width….This will go 98 inches for me…
    I also gave a call down here to Grummpy’s……Apparently this material goes by a lot of different ‘Trade’ names….

Aqua-Shield:
    Warranty: 5 year limited warranty
    Colors: 11 colors available
    Weight: 8 oz. natural plied polyester, 600 denier, 90 thread
    Material: 100% polyester
    Fabric Breathability: Good
    Durability: Superior
    Water Repellency: Excellent
    Mildew Resistance: Good
    UV/Fade Resistance: Good
    Stain Resistance: Good
    Custom made to length and width
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The only thing I don’t know is puncture/tear, but with the claim of superior durability, makes me think it should be as good as any…..

alumanator
    New Hope, MN

Quote:

I have not heard of that material either, if it were me I would go with TOP GUN it is by far the best material out there when it comes to boat covers!

X2

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

We all could be talking about the same material by a differnet name. Again, Top Gun is only 62″ wide….my boat is 90″ on the gunwale alone….so TG just isn’t going to ‘cut’ it That’s the reason I went looking for the poly material on line and found what I posted up earlier….

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

We all could be talking about the same material by a differnet name. Again, Top Gun is only 62″ wide….my boat is 90″ on the gunwale alone….so TG just isn’t going to ‘cut’ it That’s the reason I went looking for the poly material on line and found what I posted up earlier….

FF

Everyone’s boat is wider that 62”. Most all boat covers are constructed from multiple pieces of material stitched together perpendicular to the centerline of the boat. I don’t know enough about the materials to give a recommendation one way or another but I did want to point out that the width of the top Gun material wouldn’t be an issue for you.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I see you are from Rochester go see custom canvas I am sure they carry Top Gun and like James said the width should not be an issue.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Thanks Steve..

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Quote:

constructed from multiple pieces of material stitched together perpendicular to the centerline of the boat.

I’ll take that as the answer to my apparently stupid question. Thanks James.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.