HELP!!!! Fish smell in my truck

• russ0101
    Brooklyn Park, mn

so…..this weekend I went fishing and the bag of guts got put under my seat and left in there for a day or 2 before i knew what was causing the smell …..total accident by my buddy. Anyone else ever fall victim to this and how do you get the smell out of the truck?

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

1968 I left a bag made out of burlap with about 30-45 crappies in it in my trunk for about 5 days during the summer.
    Parked the car after a day of fishing and having a beer or two and forgot the fish, rode the bike all week to work and the following sat I was going to use the car.

Just about threw up when I got in it.

Cure?
    Brought it to a auto detailer who pulled everything out of the trunk, including matts and insulation and then cleaned what was left, not sure what they used but it still had a faint fish odor for a month or so after that.

I’d pull out whatever the fish guts were sitting on, clean under it and replace mats, insulation, etc…and hope..:)

Al

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

You’ve seen Grumpy Old Men, right?

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Deuche..sounds funny but it works

russ0101
    Brooklyn Park, mn

“Deuche..sounds funny but it works ”

that does sound funny…..i’ll leave the fish comments alone on that one. keep er G rated.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I’d try the same solution used to get skunk juice off of a dog:

1 quart of hydrogen peroxide
    1/4 cup of baking soda
    1 teaspoon of dish soap

Cheap and worth a try.

-J.

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

I’d take that bag and put it in your buddies car

dorancehefte
    Wisconsin

Take charcoal and heat (not burn it) in your oven for an hour. Put it in your truck with the windows closed and let it set in the sun for a couple days. The activated charcoal will adsorb most of the odor. (Heating the charcoal activates it just like putting carbon hunting clothes in the clothes dryer.) Some plastics adsorb/absorb the odor molecules so removing it may be necessary also.

Removing (or cleaning completely) any material that absorbed some of the juices is a must.

Good luck. It took me three heat – let set cycles in my old truck.

Be careful handling the charcoal – the dust is a carcinogen when activated so don’t breathe in or swallow any of it.

russ0101
    Brooklyn Park, mn

Thank you everyone…..I will definitely be giving these a try. It is quite ripe.

big_g
    Isle, MN

If all else fails, if you get into St Cloud, I can give you a stink bomb…. basically it is a can of smell good, with enzymes in it. I had a buddy do the exact same thing last summer, but he ruined a bag of filets His truck was terrible and after the bomb and about a week, it was good to go

big G

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

Put some dryer sheets under your seat. They will absorb the smell.

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Quote:

“Deuche..sounds funny but it works “

that does sound funny…..i’ll leave the fish comments alone on that one. keep er G rated.

Sometimes it’s just too easy

rgoi812
    Good hour from whitewater

How about this method ?

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I would just give the truck away and buy a new one…

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

I WOULD SPRAY THE INSIDE OF THE TRUCK WITH SOME OF THAT “SKUNK COVER UP” SPRAY. THAT WILL OVERPOWER THE FISHY SMELL….UNLESS YOU DONT LIKE THE SMELL OF SKUNK EITHER.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

First step is to remove the bag of guts from your truck. Until you do that, they’ll just keep emitting the smell and you’ll never get rid of it.

As for the odor, I’ve done that more than a few times and all I ever had to do was leave the windows open for a few times around the block. Is this a Ford, Chevy, GMC or Dodge?

Cheap GMC interior decorating may absorb smells worse than others…

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

I had to have some wool clothes cleaned from a skunk encounter.
    The Hydrogen Peroxide and baking soda took all the colors out of the fabric.
    I deuced the boots,
    I still use the boots.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

How about scent eliminator like we use for deer hunting?

russ0101
    Brooklyn Park, mn

yeah….it is a gmc. been driving with the windows down…..I put a bunch of baking soda in there first to try, since it is the quickest one to try with my time being run to work/run to the hospital here the last few days. Will definitely have to try some of the others….not so much the drive in the river truck first , but some of the others.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Quote:

yeah….it is a gmc.

AH-HAH! I knew it!

You do know I was just kidding, right? I mean there may be a bit of truth to it or something but I was just taking a cheap jab at the Chevy world… just sayin.

russ0101
    Brooklyn Park, mn

Quote:

Quote:

yeah….it is a gmc.

AH-HAH! I knew it!

You do know I was just kidding, right? I mean there may be a bit of truth to it or something but I was just taking a cheap jab at the Chevy world… just sayin.

oh yeah…..knew you were just joking. Gotta say she has been a good truck tho. Just stinks a tad at the moment. But you know what they say about pay backs.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I used to make my own trapping scent for coons by letting fish decompose, pour the liquid through a gunny sack then mixed with oil of anise then put in a gallon milk jug. It spilled in the back seat carpeting and it stunk to holy hel-. I got almost all of it out by washing 1/2 dozen times with dish soap and water then rinseing between and useing a shop vac to vacum it after each washing. It worked pretty well but you could still faintly smell it, eventually it was gone.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.