What would you do question?

• hoistafish1
    Long Prairie,MN

Daughter and son-in-law had hail and strong straight line wind damage to their home roof in last storm bout. They had the insurance adjuster out to survey damage and they were denied coverage for replacement because the roof was 40% damaged and to be covered it has to be 47%. I told them to tell the insurance company to send out a second adjuster for another estimate. Any other thoughts?

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

My adjuster actually got up and counted shingles on my roof.:(

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Stick Boy<<<

Call Stick he’ll know what if anything can be done.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I do storm restoration for a living. Have them find a good contractor, one that is reffered to them from someone they know.
    They should be allowed a reinspect, make sure the contractor has worked with insurance companies, will meet with the adjuster on site during reinspect and absolutley must have Xactimate. It is a competer program that 98 percent of ins co. use for putting togther their scope of loss report.

It is common for adjusters to be tight on what they total during the first few weeks just after a storm. I have found that they get easier after they have worked the area for a bit. -pm for any further questions, Mark

northstar42
    west central Minnesotsa

So is the insurance company going to replace every fourth shingle? They have to cover the damage that is there. This sounds like baloney to me. Get a contractor and make them do it over. The contractor should be able to tell how much it will cost to replace it and the insurance company should be liable for that amount.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Remember, the adjuster works for the insurance company, not the customer filing a claim. Though most try to be fair and straight in their reports, it usually appears more slanted to the insurance company.

Keep in mind he/she is reporting the actual storm damage. That will not account for the damaged shingles that will occur during repairs. Get a couple of very reputable contractors to give you a damage report and a not to exceed price for replacement/repair.

Their insurance agent has dual role in this. Though most agents are not involved in the claim adjustment, they need to retain you as a customer. I have had a couple of situations where I addressed a claim issue with the agent and let them back-door it through the claims -process. A good agent doesn’t want to loose a customer and should be your advocate

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Went through that ordeal in Maple Grove a few years ago.
    1. Contractor that has a good reputation is a great advocate.

2. Start taking pictures of every house in their neighborhood that has their roof replaced. Hard to argue when the entire neighborhood has new roofs installed.

Pete

big_g
    Isle, MN

When they say 40% damaged, does that mean 40% of the roof will leak ??? I don’t get. Does it mean they will only pay for 40% of a new roof, but will pay to repair what needs to be done ???

big G

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

This seems odd to me to. 40% damage to a roof? How?
    When I was hit in 2002 with a big hail/wind storm, the adjuster came out, looked at the obviously damaged siding, windows, screen porch, etc. He asked if I had roof damage and I said I didn’t know, nothing appeared to be out of line.
    He was on the roof for less than a minute and totalled the entire roof. Dented shingles, not torn or ripped off, just dented.
    So how can you have 40% damage?

You do need to negotiate with these companies, adjusters. In this same storm, the adjuster said I needed siding on 50% of my house (2 sides) and would not pay for all four unless we hit 60%. Well my siding was not available any longer in type and color so 50% did me no good. When we confronted the company with this, they ended up paying for a total replace.

So don’t give up, good suggestions above to get a second opinion from a experienced contractor.

Good luck!

ET

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

A better question is how old is the roof?

If it is older than 15 years – do you expect the insurance company to pay for a brand new roof?

If it was a car – they would only pay blue book –

It is a business for the insurance company and they are not in the business of giving away new roofs to every homeowner with some hail damage.

It is a business decision for them – not a charity decision

It is all about the negotiation and help from their agent.

Dog

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

This is quite common. Ins company’s will go with under 50% because after 50% they must replace the entire roof no mater what. All ins companys are differant most go by # of dings in a 10 sq. ft. area and each have there own # some are 6 and some go all the way to 15 it just varys.
    At 40% I would say the entire roof can be relpaced. Just get a reinspection and have the contractor there on site when the adjuster shows up.
    There are some new things the ins companys are coming out with that you all should be aware of. I think american family started it and if it works the rest will follow rather quickly. I was given a letter from a customer a few months back at the end of his job. It stated american family was no longer going to cover storm damage unless he subscribed to the storm damage policy which was like $30 a year. It came in a plain envelope with american familys name on it and looked like junk mail. This is the 3rd person I no that got this in the mail, all were from american family. Its not expensive but if you dont have it the ins company just saved a few$$ and your house is destroyed.
    Give me a call I would be happy to go over any questions you have or your daughter has. I also can meet with the adjuster. Let me no

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.