Training Pointing Labs

• coot
    North Central Wisconsin

I posted this in the hunting dogs forum, but thought I would post here as well:

We are picking up a new lab pup next week. The pup comes from pointing lines. I have successfully trained a flusher/retreiver in the past, but no experience with pointers. Not sure if these dogs will point, but would like it if they do. Anyone have any advice with pointing labs? Any good books or DVDs out there? Thanks.

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Your pup has it all built in for pointing. I had to make sure that my sh’s staid steady to point and flush and retrieve to your hand.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

I responded on the ‘Fuge regarding the natural ability of the pup, but there were a couple of things I can mention.

I wrote about the steps:
    1) Birds are fun/food
    2) Birds are hard to catch
    3) daddy thunderstick will help.

and about blooding for Step #1.

But, when you want to progress to Step #2, it’s important to use “Fly Away” training, i.e. let the dog learn that birds are hard to catch. You can not force this lesson on the dog. It’s a realization that he/she needs to come to on their own.

Don’t know where to send you for reading/watching materials. No one has done a definitive treatise on it. Julies 2nd book is reputed to be much better than the first and that is good.

Dick Wolter’s book “Gun Dog” does a good job of taking you right up to FlyAway, and does the best that I’ve seen with it.

DO NOT THINK YOU CAN USE A COLLAR TO TRAIN POINTING. YOU WILL RUIN THE DOG…

wilk71
    Albany, Missouri

I have a Pointing Lab and I trained her myself. I have never been in a competition or trials as I only wanted a dog for a hunting companion…but I have to say she has been wonderful and worth every penny. I did not have any experience with a pointer before her. Look for a book called “The Pointing Labrador”. It was extrememly helpful and easy to follow as a “by the book”, or “do it yourself” manual. You won’t regret a Pointing Lab…Best of both worlds.

Brian

gusschoenfeld
    Winsted, MN

I am now on my second pointing lab. I did have a viszla and GWP previously so working on the pointing training was easy for me. Like others have said if your dog has good pointing lineage it is mostly natural instinct. This is cookie pointing a wing at 9 weeks.

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

Thanks for the input. If there is anything else you think of, I would appreciate the info.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.