Why Snell a Hook?

• FishingFool

I am making up a few spinner rigs for bottom bouncing.I was wondering why snell a hook instead of tying direct with an improved clinch knot? I mostly jig fish,just want to try em deep this weekend. Thanks! Paul

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

The hooks are usually snelled because a lot of rigs are tied with multiple hooks. Snelling allows you to rig multiple hooks on the same line and keep them straight and facing the same direction. Also, snelling keeps you from having a knot above the eye of the hook so your beads can slide down all the way to the hook.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

The shaft of the hook will stay parallel to the line. Less chance of the entire rig spinning through the water creating a tangled mess.

-J.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I understand snelling the first or second hook in a 3 hook system, but do you snell the last hook too?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Here’s how I tie my spinners. Most of the time I tie a treble on the back with a standard cinch knot.

-J.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I used to sell harnesses on-line, now I just sell components. I can tell you from tying thousands and thousands of harnesses, that once you learn to tie a snell it’s the easiest knot you’ll ever use (but it’s really only good for this type of application). I can tie about 80 double hook snells per hour as long as I have everything ready.

Snells are strong, and there’s a very short learning curve. The only time I don’t use a snell on a harness is when I’m adding a treble as the last hook. Then I just tie a cinch knot.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I tie all my own live bait rigs and spinners as well.
    On Spinners I always snell all 3 hooks, I tie the hooks on to the loose end from the spool then measure out the length I want, cut the line and tie the loop in the end.

Just an FYI swim noodles with slits cut about an inch apart work AWESOME for wrapping spinning rigs or lindy rigs on to keep them from getting tangled.

I just cut a swim noodle in to lengths that fit in a small tub with a lid, that way they are all together and contained for easy storage.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

They also present the hook point forward instead of off at an angle.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

Good idea John, another way is to take a card from a deck of cards, fold it in half.Now make 4 v-grooves in it, one on each side, wrap your snell around it going this way then that way. amazing how much line you can get on one. compact 2.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.