Craftsman YT3000 Riding Lawn Mower

• buckmaster

Being doing a little research on the Craftsman YT3000 Briggs 21hp riding mower and was wondering if anyone owns one and has pros/cons for it or should I go with a different brand? Sears has it on sale right now for $1,299.

I have heard some good things about them, but thought I would ask the question.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

mule170
    Bemidji

I love craftsman tools, but I would stay away from their mowers.I have had 2 new ones and both blew the engines in the first year. Have had lots of bearing issues with the deck and pulleys. I bought a new John deere last year and I have not had an issue. The John Deere costs more, but it has been money well spent.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

I would have to disagree unfortunately as I have owned 2 in 20 years. The only reason I got a new one was left the old one with the old house. I got the 48 inch deck size as only on a little over 2/3 of a acre.

craighaz
    altoona,wi

my brother just bought one on friday and as soon as he engaged the deck the whole tractor just shook so he called sears back and the had him call the tech line because they have been having alot of problems with then deck. the tech came out tuesday and said the whole deck has to be replaced and theyll have one next week.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

I know a guy bought one , got it home and when he turned on the deck it smoked the belt. He took it back and the said they would fix it. He said no way and made them give him a new one. I have driven it. Comparaed to my Deere it is very noisy and vibrates. On the other hand my 48 inch deck,23 HP Deere cost alot more money too. Not always, but most of the time you get what you pay for.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

I would have to disagree unfortunately as I have owned 2 in 20 years. The only reason I got a new one was left the old one with the old house. I got the 48 inch deck size as only on a little over 2/3 of a acre.

Not sure on the new mowers, but growing up, we had one. We mowed everything with it, including the hayfield for a softball diamond. Thing lasted about 20 years…..

big G

pdl
    Bayport/St. Croix/Otsego/Grand Rapids

Sears doesn’t own the Craftsman brand any more.
    East Coast investment banker who merged Kmart and Sears under a holding company recently spun off DieHard and Craftsman…paid himself over a billion again last year. What does that tell you?
    Any idea who makes the Deere mowers now that the dealers lost their exclusivity?

Terry Heese

Looks like some of the Deere mowers have Briggs engines now, same as the Craftsman.

buckmaster

Quote:

Looks like some of the Deere mowers have Briggs engines now, same as the Craftsman.

Pretty much why I generated the question as one is paying for how well the mower is built, how easy to maintain, ect. not the engine to me.

Craftsman – Briggs & Stratton
    Ariens – Briggs & Stratton
    John Deere – Briggs & Stratton
    Poulan – Briggs & Stratton
    Weed Eater – Briggs & Stratton
    Husqvarna – Briggs & Stratton
    Yard Machine – Briggs & Stratton

Thanks for the input guys and I will keep researching. Any suggestions on what people run and how they like them is more then welcome.

Thanks!

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have a Scotts that I got at Home Depot, about 6 years ago. Basically it’s a John Deere, with more plastic parts. I like it, it has worked well. I do know a little better built machine is a Simplicity, my brother has one of them and it isn’t so much plastic….

big G

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

Can’t tell you a thing about a new one. What I do know is that I have once that is close to 15 years old. In that time I change the oil each season and put gas in it…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.