Fishing journal

• brad0383
    Farmington, MN

Does anyone keep a fishing journal? The latest issue of Minnesota Sportsman has an article about keeping a journal. Looks like a good idea.

medic242
    Sioux Falls, SD

I have a note book that I keep in my boat with my maps. I write down the date, water temp, time of day, what lures i used, where i was and what i caught. Now it has the last several years of fishing in it . It works great for prefishing for a tournament

hhguide
    Alexandria MN

I have note book for each lake I fish! Its the best thing you can do I think because we all know their are so many different variables when it comes to fishing, but if you can figure out a few patterns and duplicate its always a good thing!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Mpl Pug of all people has a fishing log site.

I don’t have the link with me, but I’m sure he’ll pop it up here.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Just waiting for the ok. I don’t want to seem like I am patrolling for every new log/journal thread.

http://www.ProFishingLog.com The site is pretty basic in it’s delivery right now amounting to log entries that are like notes. I have an actual application that I am set to release that will be the backbone of the site. That will be a more robust and detailed way to keep a fishing log. Plus, I will be adding tools to help analyze your entries making it easier to figure fish patterns. I’ll be putting that application/tool up in beta form so people can start logging this season, because every month I don’t have it up, is a month next year you wish I had.

brad0383
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

Just waiting for the ok. I don’t want to seem like I am patrolling for every new log/journal thread.

http://www.ProFishingLog.com The site is pretty basic in it’s delivery right now amounting to log entries that are like notes. I have an actual application that I am set to release that will be the backbone of the site. That will be a more robust and detailed way to keep a fishing log. Plus, I will be adding tools to help analyze your entries making it easier to figure fish patterns. I’ll be putting that application/tool up in beta form so people can start logging this season, because every month I don’t have it up, is a month next year you wish I had.

Nice, I like it!

walleyehunter83

That’s a little nicer then the one I made in excel. Thanks for the info. This is the second year that I have been keeping a jornal, so I’m kind of pumped to see if last years info helps with this year’s fishing.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Nice, I like it!

If you like what is out there now, you should really like beta release of the application. Should be within the next 2 weeks.

deertracker

I started a profile and can’t wait to get started on it. Will there be a fee once it gets going or will it always be free?
    DT

hnd

i have an excel spread sheet that i use…i note these things on it.

date
    time
    water level
    water temp
    wind mph
    wind dir
    barometer
    moon
    conditions (overcast/cloudy/clear etc)
    conditions of previous day
    lure/bait
    color
    eaters
    shorts
    slot
    Total fish
    Other observations.

It works well for me.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I started a profile and can’t wait to get started on it. Will there be a fee once it gets going or will it always be free?
    DT

It will always be free to the user. As a internet user, nothing bugs me more than pay sites. And I certainly would not bait people in now, only to start charging down the road.

I just hope that people use it and provide feedback moving forward, because I do view it as a partnership between the members and I. That way any future development is steered by the people using it and it assures that as I make changes to improve it, it should become more user friendly, easier to use and help people catch more fish. That’s the goal. That is true for what exists up there now, but even more so with the application when I release it.

brad0383
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

Quote:

DT

It will always be free to the user. As a internet user, nothing bugs me more than pay sites. And I certainly would not bait people in now, only to start charging down the road.

I just hope that people use it and provide feedback moving forward, because I do view it as a partnership between the members and I. That way any future development is steered by the people using it and it assures that as I make changes to improve it, it should become more user friendly, easier to use and help people catch more fish. That’s the goal. That is true for what exists up there now, but even more so with the application when I release it.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

I just fish for fun.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I just fish for fun.

So do I. And I find when I catch fish I have more fun.

There is no way around it, it is not easy keeping a journal. You have to have a system out on the water so it doesn’t get in the way much and doesn’t take away from the fishing. It takes a certain level of dedication, especially when you are just starting one. But it is pretty cool on the other side when you are actually looking at these entries and trying to figure things out. Kind of like having a game plan like you would for a football game.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Looks like I had 9 new members sign up yesterday. For most sites, not a drop in the bucket, but for me it is a base. You will be able to say you were one of the first! Quite a badge of honor.

Feel free to contact me with any issues. I am pretty much the only one that tests it along with a couple other people.

I’ll email the members when the application is released.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Puggsy, are you ever planning on charging for the use of the log?

deertracker

A smart good looking guy already asked that question and the answer was no.
    DT

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I saw that…the other day. Memory is NOT the first thing to go.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Here is a good one I’ve been using for years and besides a detailed fishing log it also includes an equipment maintenance log for equipment and a picture gallery.

http://www.xchangingminds.com/refind/downloads/warnersdock/warnersdownload.htm

I should add that although there is a free limited version I did purchase the full version for $25 which adds some features and does not have the Warner Dock advertising.

jd318
    NE Nebraska

mplspug,
    Will you be able to add Bodies of Water when the application is released? I see there are many lakes there, but I assume they are all Minnesota. I like the concept of the Fishing Journal, but I do not fish in Minnesota. Just curious.

JD

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Yes, you will be able to add lakes, rivers and oceans anywhere in the world. In fact, I am counting on users to add them and build up the listings that way. The way a user adds bodies of water now on the site will go away.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Pug, are you ever planning on charging for the use of the log?

deertracker

Someone needs a time out or a slap on the hands with a ruler.
    DT

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Something I said??

deertracker

BK don’t mind me, I’m just stretching….
    DT

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Pug, are you ever planning on charging for the use of the log?

I will never charge people to use the site or the application. I am not a big fan of sites that charge people for their use. Besides, I created the thing on the side and I didn’t hire people to develop, test or design it, so I feel it would be an insult to charge people for it in a beta or unpolished state. I’d rather let real fishermen use it for free and help me shape it to be as useful and easy to use as possible.

Charging would also discourage people from getting their fishing partners and friends to join. The model is to pool your data with those you trust, so that you can get a solid base of information from logs shared. It could take years to start reaping the benefits of a log, but the time gets shortened and the reliability of data increases if you share it with those you feel comfortable sharing. I don’t want to put roads blocks up on that by putting a cost factor into it.

To summarize…

I am not going to charge people to use the site or the application.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.