trim & tilt switch??

• philput
    Knoxville, IL.

lookn for some help! i own a 2000
    johnson 70, problem i’m having is up button on shifter will not raise motor. The unit has a second trim & tilt switch on side of motor. that works fine. has anyone ever had the shifter handle apart to fix or replace/repair trim switch. thanx

ssaall

Check to make sure it is grounded properly…I’ve had to put a new ground on a Johnson before.

doubleshot
    Brooklyn Park, MN

I was having the same problem on my motor last fall (not a Johnson) and am hoping a check of the ground will be all the effort I need to get it fixed.
    Not sure if something like that ever needs to be rewired, or any other potential issues it could be

Tucker02
    Mn

before you try the switch, check your trim and tilt relays which are inside your engine cowling. Probably on the right side if your standing behind your motor looking towords the bow of your boat.They are little square black boxes. I have a 40 h.p. evinrude w/trim and tilt and occasionaly the relays will stick and I can go up but not down. Sometimes just by tapping on those relays, you can get them to working again. You should be able to here them click when you try to use your tilt to locate the relays. Good luck!

onestout
    Hudson, WI

if it was the relays the switch on the motor wouldn’t work either, but that is a common issue.

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

the wire is probably broke where it goes thru shifter wall try the way it doesn’t work and move shifter if it trys to goe intermitenly it’s the wire you can take shifter off buy putting it in reverse and loosen allen set screw I think you also have a phipps head screw in ceneter of shifter,I had a 70hp johnson controll break the wire twice,then I drilled hole out bigger,to stop the pinching that was going on I hope this helps. Good Luck Stan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.