This should slow down the squirrels

• jonny p
    Waskish, MN

This should slow down the squirrels in the bird feeder! The old boy has been sitting and watching all morning…come on Red Squirrel just stick you little head out I have a surprise for you.

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

and WHAMMO! OWL 1 Squirrel 0 becuase he is dead. D E A D dead, that guy is my new best friend. Pretty cool to sit and watch that this morning. I thought he fell asleep then all of a sudden he was on the ground taking care of my bird seed theif. I never realized they ate them things on site and fast at that!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

We have a few of them showing up in the cities here. Saw 2 yesterday afternoon. Must be getting pushed south looking for food.

The view out my office window is not as nice as yours!

-J.

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

I have been trying to get a good shot with my camera but he is not real big on windows opening up but so far he has returned after I spooked him; he dinged one squirrel and a mouse or shrew or something that took about .5 seconds to eat. What amazes me is the Chikadees and Finches are landing withing reach and he could care less, he just keeps watching the snow for the next attack.

Very cool morning at the office. Jon just on the other side of those Cedar trees is Upper Red Lake. Great place to work.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Owls are cool, great pics along with a nice office

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Here we go

shadrap23
    Ramsey, MN

Is your owl for hire? I’m looking for some help with my squirrel control

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

I hit one with my truck last sat! Felt like someone threw a football at my wind shield.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

The 2nd picture looks like he is taking a nap after breakfast…. cool Pics

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing Johnny!

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

He is still here and the kill count is 5 critters. I apparently had a rodent problem around my bird feeders. About the time you think he is taking a snooze his head moves a little before he swoops down and drills some un-expecting critter. He did receive some flak from some other birds swooping down taking pot shots at him and making one hell of a ruckus. I figure he is helping me out so I help him out a bit; boom shockalatta and all is well again. I think we are comrades now as he returned and perched right back in his spot about twenty feet from my office window and is keeping an eye on the place and likes to giving me the ultra creepy stare down every few minutes.

ooop kill count is six, another shrew or mole just bit the dust

I wish I had a good camera and knew how to use it, some awesome wild kingdom stuff going down.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Turn your web cam around and zoom in….

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

We have one that has been hooting around the house in the morning every so often. The only look I have gotten is when he was up in the cottenwood in the morning twilight and all I saw was a huge silhouette.

Unlike you, I like my squirrels and rabbits. We even have flying squirrels that I have seen a couple of times. But he obviously has plenty of prey. But we also have a flock of crows that hang around here and the cemetery across the street, so I haven’t seen him during the day. A couple of autumns ago I did see a hawk nab a squirrel about 10 feet from the foundation of the house.

blufloyd

Nesting time for lot of bigger owls. They are normally hatched out here first of March.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Tree rats!

Tree monkeys, more like it. I’ve often thought that just like we would be amazed watching kangaroos in Australia and monkeys in Africa, people from other parts of the world would probably think squirrels are pretty cool. $15 for a 50lb bag of sunflower seeds at FF is worth it to me. I guess I just don’t understand the hatred of squirrels in these parts.

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Quote:

Quote:

Tree rats!

Tree monkeys, more like it. I’ve often thought that just like we would be amazed watching kangaroos in Australia and monkeys in Africa, people from other parts of the world would probably think squirrels are pretty cool. $15 for a 50lb bag of sunflower seeds at FF is worth it to me. I guess I just don’t understand the hatred of squirrels in these parts.

The little #$%^&* tear up my yard every fall and spring!

whittsend

And chew up my cedar deck and trim!!!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Whah, whah! Start feeding them and maybe they won’t do those things.

You sure it is the squirrels chewing on the deck and not the rabbits?

They are making a mess of your yard, they are aerating it.

I am just waiting for the first, “They built a nest in my attic”, reply so I can say, repair your run down house so you don’t have entry point. Things are doing you a favor showing you that you need to do some repair and fix the leaks in your house costing you money on your energy bill.

whittsend

Quote:

No food for any critters here. No birdseed, no corn, no old bread, whatever. They get squat. If I fed them I’m 100% sure it would make the problem worse since it would attract more of the critters. Would be fun target practice I guess, at the expense of a chewed up deck.

It’s not a major issue, but an annoyance. Rabbits don’t climb stairs very well to get up to the second story, so it’s not them. Plus, I’ve caught the squirrels red handed before. Couldn’t get the 28 fast enough….

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I am just giving you poop, but I am surprised the squirrels chew on the deck. I assume you have trees around, it’s odd they would prefer the deck. Maybe you should poor some vinegar or something unpalatable on the spots they chew.

whittsend

Good idea… squirrel repelant.

No trees around actually. They only chew a small spot. Not sure why, and its pretty rare… But I just saw that the spot was bigger this am… oh well, not a big deal…

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Quote:

No need My neighbor is the one with the acorns, and the 10( not joking) bird feeders. YEt they hide their crap in my yard.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Ah, no trees. That makes sense then. I believe they are rodents and need to wear their teeth down like all rodents.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

I don’t hate tree rats. I love them. With gravey and dumplings.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I don’t hate tree rats. I love them. With gravey and dumplings.

I knew this was coming at some point. Looks tasty! I only had squirrel once, I shot it and I don’t think we knew how to prepare them right, especially since that time I have read a lot about it is how you cook them.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

mmmmmmm. It has been a long time, but looks yummy.

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

I just returned from being on the road this last week sure enough the owl was sitting out by the driveway in an old Ash tree. Guess he/she moved in. Must be planning bringing up some young in the area; fine with me.

As for the squirrels those (beep) chewed a hole in my screen door, packed my air intake on my plow truck full of acorns and for a grand finale had a snowmobile seat and cover for lunch. I plan on reupholstering my sled with squirrel fur.

sharkbait
    The mud puddle in western Ks

Quote:

You sure it is the squirrels chewing on the deck and not the rabbits?

They are making a mess of your yard, they are aerating it.

I am just waiting for the first, “They built a nest in my attic”, reply so I can say, repair your run down house so you don’t have entry point. Things are doing you a favor showing you that you need to do some repair and fix the leaks in your house costing you money on your energy bill.

Don’t think the squirrels make it ti the second story deck at my parents.Feeding them just attracts them.They chew on the wood to help sharpen teeth.It keeps them busy to get a good shot at them.Tree rats!!!!

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Plus wild critters including bears, porcupines and even squirrels love treated wood.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.