Another Computor Question!!

• wahly
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

Maybe some of you computor guru’s could help me with a problem or give advice. I have a desktop with windows XP and a laptop with Vista, my delema is that the CD Rom and the DVD reader on both machines have quit working. The hardware looks like it is there. But then I can run a computor but not all that knowledgable.

Thanks for any help I can get.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

If you’re sure the They’ve quit working on the PC,That is an easy fix. The last one I replaced was $100 I think. Pull it out, plug the new one in and follow the directions.

The laptop,…..I don’t know about. Those things scare me

slayer
    Rochester, MN

Right click (press the right mouse button) on the My Computer Icon on the desktop. Click properties, then click the Hardware tab, then click on Device Manager. From here click on the + in front of DVD/CD – ROM Drives. Is your DVD/ CD-ROM drive listed? Is there a yellow exclamition mark in front of the drive listed here? If so your computer has a confilict with the drive.

Double click the left mouse button on the My Computer icon on the desktop to open Windows Explorer. Is your DVD/ CD-ROM listed here?
    Was the DVD/ CD-ROM working recently? Did anything change on your computer lately?

das_bass
    Mound, MN

You could try reloading the drivers for those devices, which you should be able to find relatively easily on the internet. Replacing the CD/DVD reader on the PC is pretty simple, but the laptop could be more of a problem. Is the laptop under warrenty? If not, it could be pretty pricey to fix if the reader isn’t a modular design that can be easily removed from the laptop. You could look into an exteral reader. If you have high-speed external jacks (somthing fast than USB) on your laptop, that might be the cheapest way to go.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

I say, throw the thing in the trash and go fishing!

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

Right click (press the right mouse button) on the My Computer Icon on the desktop. Click properties, then click the Hardware tab, then click on Device Manager. From here click on the + in front of DVD/CD – ROM Drives. Is your DVD/ CD-ROM drive listed? Is there a yellow exclamition mark in front of the drive listed here? If so your computer has a confilict with the drive.

Double click the left mouse button on the My Computer icon on the desktop to open Windows Explorer. Is your DVD/ CD-ROM listed here?
    Was the DVD/ CD-ROM working recently? Did anything change on your computer lately?

Good tip, considering it sounds like they went out together, I’d look for any new programs/updates you’ve just done or I’m wondering if a virus could do this?

Al

northstar42
    west central Minnesotsa

Quote:

Good tip, considering it sounds like they went out together, I’d look for any new programs/updates you’ve just done or I’m wondering if a virus could do this?

X2. I had a computer that did not have any color for a year. They tried to sell me power supplies, video cards, memory ect. All along it was a bad update on the driver. Deleted the driver, downloaded a new one from the manufacturer and bingo, everything works just like it should. Cost? $0. Best price going.

wahly
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

Thanks guys for the quick response. Slayer I checked everything like you said and yup Yellow exclamation so we have a conflict. Das_bass tried your soulution to reload the drivers from the internet-didn’t work, so looks like I’ll be going with Mikes recomendation on putting in a new one or I could just go fishing with Super Do As for the laptop I found a code 19 something that says my drivers are not working so will try and tackle that.

Thanks guys

slayer
    Rochester, MN

Who is the Manufacturer, what is the make and model of drive?

Have you tried using Windows Update to see if a newer driver is available?

When you are free I could try using remote assistance to connect to your PC if you have a broadband or DSL connection.

I would need your email address and we can set up a time. You should be able to fix this without buying a new DVD / CD-ROM Drive.

Find out the make and model. I’ll see if I can find a driver then. What Operating System is it? XP or Vista?

Perhaps go into Device Manager and uninstall the device, restart it. See if windows loads the driver, if not have the PC search the Internet for the driver. Then check for any yellow exclamation points.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

It sounds like drivers are corrupt for both drives. Follow the steps to get to your device manager and see if they show up. If you have yellow “?”s in the device manager you need to reinstall your drivers. You can go to the mfg’s website and enter you model number and get the drivers. I would certainly try this before I spent $100 for a new drive!

wahly
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

Slayer the desk top is a Compac with windows xp and the laptop is a Dell with vista. The dvd quiet at 2 different times and I run virus protection regularly so no virus, I’ll try windows updates to see if that works. I can also get you model #s if needed as the desktop is at the office. Also will try what you said Russ.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.