Pool 4 Fish Kill?

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

We were out doing some camera work Sunday afternoon (1/24/10) on P4 when we came across this.

One pass with the camera beside the net is what’s captured here.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

What is that netting for, commercial fishing?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

What a waste.

dgoodman
    Pool 4

Today I saw a ton of shad floating around

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Shouldn’t they have better practices in place to prevent this type of wanton waste? I have no idea of how commercial fishing works, but I am guessing that dead fish like that are no good to them. I just don’t get it. They are wasting their own materials in a sense.

FDR

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

What is that netting for, commercial fishing?

They are commercial netting carp to ship out east which is the fish used in fish fry’s in states like New york. I noticed in the video there were lots of white bass, a few crappies, walleye or sauger and lots of drum that went to waste. It is pretty sad to see all those fish going to waste

kris_brantner
    My river

its winter time bk. they are just sleeping….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

its winter time bk. they are just sleeping….

Then they should bite…right?

northstar42
    west central Minnesotsa

That’s just ugly!

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

It makes one very sad to witness pictures like that. Thanks for the investigative work BK.

stuart
    Mn.

What did the DNR think of this?
    How about channle 5 ? Did you call Peta?
    We saw them out last Wensday but didn,t go close because I didn,t want to splash them with a wake,I am thinking a little differntly now.

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

Very sad!!! Wow

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

this just can’t be right to have let this happen. Somebody should be held accountable, right?

jmiller
    Blaine, MN

That is a joke. How can they kill that many fish and nothing happen.

LimpFish
    Lino Lakes, Minnesota

Unbelievable

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Oh boy, this is not good.

Can’t wait to hear the reasons(excuses) and justifications for this being allowed to happen–collateral damage, isn’t enough to hurt the fishery,etc, etc, etc.

Crap.

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

How many locations between the dam and the lake do they net? I don’t fish the river a ton. Maybe 5-10 days a year. I have never seen a commercial net. What a waste. I would think if the DNR had knowledge of this the netter would be required to provide restitution for any dead fish they couldn’t utilize.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Oh boy, this is not good.

Can’t wait to hear the reasons(excuses) and justifications for this being allowed to happen–collateral damage, isn’t enough to hurt the fishery,etc, etc, etc.

Crap.

Well said Doc, Should be interersting

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Isn’t wanton waste of natural rescorces a crime?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

How many locations between the dam and the lake do they net? I don’t fish the river a ton. Maybe 5-10 days a year. I have never seen a commercial net. What a waste. I would think if the DNR had knowledge of this the netter would be required to provide restitution for any dead fish they couldn’t utilize.

Hopefully someone from the DNR will see this post. Or perhaps some of us on here who know COs or DNR employees will get this footage into thier hands.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

BK, This needs to be forwarded on to the DNR. I’m not sure what’s considered acceptable practices regarding netting but I know how I feel about what I saw.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Dunno whose netting P-4…but…

Reminds me too much of Little Bay de Noc recently …but the “Tribe” is a sovereign nation for fish/game purposes and not subject to State or Federal prosecution.
    They have declined to sign an agreement here for two years…you are fortunate if they work with you in Minnesota to conserve fisheries.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Dunno whose netting P-4…but…

Reminds me too much of Little Bay de Noc recently …but the “Tribe” is a sovereign nation for fish/game purposes and not subject to State or Federal prosecution.
    They have declined to sign an agreement here for two years…you are fortunate if they work with you in Minnesota to conserve fisheries.

Tom, that’s an ugly and sore subject in other parts on MN. Just reading your post gets my blood boiling.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

Do the nets have to have tags on them with Lic. #’s? Should be able to figure out whose they are. If not, I would think that the DNR would just go pick up the nets and see who comes looking for them or files a stolen report.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I was on Pool 2 last spring when they were netting carp. I talked to a guy at the landing as he was loading fish into a HUGH truck set up with a tank. He said he was pullin over 100,000 Lbs of fish per day. He said he could take more than that if he had a way to transport them. I have no idea how many nets they have to have out to pull 100,000 Lbs of fish per day but my guess would be alot. I thought at the time that it was great that they were taking all of these carp out of the river. I guess I never though about how many other fish were killed in the process. After seeing this I’d say that way to many is the answer.

bluewing
    North Iowa

BK
    Very sad to view so many game fish dead. Does anyone know what caused these fish to die? In the video only one shad was seen alive, was there any other live fish seen?

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Its hard to believe our DNR would allow this wanton waste but not allow the use of two lines in the summer.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 125 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.