Reel and Motor

• holennet
    Park View, Iowa

Visiting my 80 year old Dad during the Holidays, it didn’t take long after the initial hello hug to start talking fishing. Well after agreeing when the weather warms up, to spend some time on the water he had some stuff to show me.

His older brother had passed away about 5 years ago. Recently my Dad’s niece gave him a reel and motor, that my uncle had owned. Kind of cool! Purchased new, a 1973 6 Hp Evinrude. The $375 price tag was still on the motor. Dad helped my uncle learn how to use the motor. Then the motor just sat in storage. Don’t know why my uncle didn’t use the motor. Dad’s guess is it has been run less than 5 hours. I gave the rope a couple of slow pulls. The pistons are not frozen. Dad gave me the motor. Cool! I bet with some TLC I’ll end up with a nice kicker.

Dad also gave me the reel. An Ambassadeur 5000. I am guessing it is at least as old as the motor. I believe my uncle who enjoyed fishing bought the reel and never used it. The reel is in perfect condition. Not a scratch, beautiful bright red color, still in the nice leather case. I am not planning on using the reel. Just a nice piece of family history.

What a nice Holiday. Dad was proud to pass the reel and motor to me. I’ll be looking forward to warmer weather to get the ole man out on the water.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

My neighbor ran a 1973 20hp Johnson for several years and passed it on to me in 1983…It pushed my deep 14′ Starcraft w/o a hiccup until 1990 when I upgraded my rig. My buddy ran that motor until last year when he upgraded his rig and now his new son in law runs the Johnson/Starcraft…
    The older Rudes and Johnsons are bulletproof if you treat them right!

minnbassboy
    Rochester Minnesota

You need to get some pictures of the motor and reel so that we can appreciate it as much as you are.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

The foot of that reel should have the serial number on the bottom of it. I have a old 5000 DeLuxe that has some boat rash and needs a few new parts they are kind of expensive because they are 22K gold plated. If I repaced the missing parts it would be worth somewhere in the $300-$500 range. I have no idea what your reel might be worth but you can look online and get a good idea.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.