Rude Walleye Boaters

• Bassn Dan

A couple of weeks ago I saw someone in a small boat get thrown half way out of his boat because of people making HUGE wakes in the tailwaters. I even had someone say to me “You have a 150, go make circles around those idiots in that Alumacraft so that they’ll knock it off…”

Taking a few extra seconds to drive your boat with a reasonable wake in crowded areas would be appreciated and could prevent a serious incident. If you have people staring at you when you go plowing past them, THIS MEANS YOU!!!!!

Dan

P.S. What is with these people that are too lazy to pull up their trolling motor when they move and they go plowing along with the bow up in the air so that the trolling motor is out of the water??? Can they even see where they’re going???

tomberg
    Rochester,MN.

I’m with you dan, I had some “fishermen” come with 15yds,then cut the motor and drift into me and dent my boat… thats why I might sell the boat,I’m sick of rude people..

rmartin
    United States

The people who run or even idle forward without pulling their trolling motors up will eventually pay for their laziness with worn out bushings or weakened/broken support systems. It is the people that run bow up that make the big wakes.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I hope nobody takes the bait on this one. Why start an us against you? We are all fisherman. Some of us less rude than others.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

Well Dan, it’s probably the same bassin that I have had swamp me when I’m out in a slough walleye fishing, or snag fishing crappies.First time shame on you,second time and they might have a hole in that fiberglass the size of a 5/8 ounce bell sinker

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

If you have people staring at you….

People always stare at me!

Couple weeks ago I was motoring past a fella standing up in the front of his boat taking a whiz my way (he didn’t see me at the time)

I told him it’s never a good thing to take a whiz towards any guy wearing a pink hat. Talk about a stare.

I giggled like a little girl all the way back to the resort.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I agree it would be very nice to slow down. We do not want to see anyone in the water, especially when the water is as cold as it is right now. The fish will still be there when you get there 2 minutes later after slowing down to ensure your fellow boaters remain safe as well.

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

I started out fishing the river in a shallow v 14 foot boat, and still use it in the winter. There are two things I will never forget about this boat.

1. The day I decided to never fish an area that tuna cruisers may plow through. (If I wouldn’t have been able to steer directly into the waves and use the throttle appropritely it would have been an ugly situation).

2. The first time a 620 spotted me- slowed down to no wake the whole time through the area they would have thrown some nice waves at me-waved-and then after they were past me-giddy up they were off. (I felt like firing up all 7.5 of my horses over to them to shake their hands).

I will do the same as these gentlemen because I know what it’s like to start out in a smaller boat. Not everyone does know the potential of their actions-and not everyone understands the risk you take when operating a small boat around many large boats.

Overall,I think the good people outweigh the bad by far, and you can kind of start to tell someone that just might not know, from someone that it being blatantly rude.

mojogunter

I think that in some cases people don’t know any better. I could be wrong. I know this year seems worse for no boat etiquette what so ever. I try and tell myself they aren’t an idiot, they are just new to fishing, and operating a boat. A few weeks ago on pool #4 I was drifting with the current using my bow mount to slow myself down, and another guy in a white Ranger reatta from Iowa was doing the same thing but not slowing himself down with a bow mount. As he came closer to me I started to move to the right to get out of his way, but as I went to move he started his big motor, and thought he was going to back up a bit to pass by me on my left. Instead of backing up he went forward across my bow hitting the front left corner of my boat with the side of his boat. Luckily it hit on the opposite side my trolling motor is mounted. The guy fishing in the front of my boat tried to keep him from hitting me but wasn’t able to. I got an “I’m sorry”, and I left it at that just shaking my head. He then was on my right and decided he wanted to go back up the river so he spun around, and came back towards the right front of my boat. This time I started my big engine and backed the heck out of his way, or he would have done the same thing again 20 seconds later, but this time on the right front corner, most likely taking out my bow mount. I am sure he wasn’t used to driving a boat in current, but come on. Maybe there should be a boating test that guys from Iowa have to pass before they can fish on border waters.

herb
    6ft under

Too late Kooty, I’m taking the bait and running with it. I’m one of those lazy azzes who won’t raise my troller for a short run back upstream. I haven’t had an issue with bearings or bracket supports at all in all the years I’ve done this and don’t expect to. In fact, I’m so lazy I’ll even leave the troller down while backtrolling 3ways up to the spot I want to start drifting again.
    And I guarrantee you’ll never get a wake from my boat cause I creep. The reason; I get to spy on my fellow fishermen.
    If anyone reading this was in Minn. Slough last week and watched a black lund with “sheephead R us” on the transom, (backwards R), they can attest to it.
    This sort of thread gets started a couple times a year and normally, it’s about bassers. You have to understand there are people with more boat than brains in every species persuit. It’s just something we have to learn to put up until the DNR can be out there to write tickets for unsafe boating practices. Most of the time they aren’t. If it bothers us that much we can always write down the boat numbers and call it in.

MIKGILLIE
    Owatonna,MN.

I think it is a sign of our times.These people are rude no matter what they do,self centered.A good reminder to teach our children well.I still think fisherman as a rule are generally courteous and willing to help,That is why you see places like Everets running a successful business and part of why I enjoy fishing,theres always a few to spoil it for everyone else and they will bring on their own demise.

herb
    6ft under

Sign of the times? Nah.
    Hell, I’ll bet some cavemen have a story or two about some boob trying to knock them off their fish spearing rock while trying to gather supper.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Kinda funny isn’t it Herb. When we fish…we always try to get closer together.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Bass guy and walleye guy are always rude. Trout guy is rude too but he doesn’t have a boat but I especially hate catfish guy because he sets up in my spots.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

OK people just take a deep breath then stare at mojogunter’s avatar …..I’m all better now

No matter what body of water or what State you fish in, you will run into the one dude that just doesn’t know better
    Don’t let it ruin a day of fishing.

herb
    6ft under

Man, don’t say that. Just took a deep breath and almost coughed my lungs out.

MIKGILLIE
    Owatonna,MN.

Quote:

Sign of the times? Nah.
    Hell, I’ll bet some cavemen have a story or two about some boob trying to knock them off their fish spearing rock while trying to gather supper.

Good point,maybe we could see about getting some goverment money to do a study.

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Congestion, congestion, congestion. On a whole, guys need to realize that there are more spots to fish than the dam on pool 4. Yes, there are a lot up fish there, but at times it gets worse than a public hunting ground during WI deer season. In one spot, you have anchorers, vertical jiggers and 3-wayers. A fellow fisherman decribed the action above the 1st wingdam the best–“looks like a bunch of boats playing ring around the rosey”.
    Follow the golden rule on this one fellas.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

You bass and walleye guys think you have it bad. I’ve had the same crappie guide bump me twice while cork fishing up in crooked slough. There are idiots everywhere. Don’t let it ruin your fishing. Maybe do what I do, stay away from crowds as best you can. It’s a big river and there are lots of places to fish.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Congestion, congestion, congestion. On a whole, guys need to realize that there are more spots to fish than the dam on pool 4. Yes, there are a lot up fish there, but at times it gets worse than a public hunting ground during WI deer season. In one spot, you have anchorers, vertical jiggers and 3-wayers. A fellow fisherman decribed the action above the 1st wingdam the best–“looks like a bunch of boats playing ring around the rosey”.
    Follow the golden rule on this one fellas.

I’ll tell you what guys. Coming from northern MN, I was shocked to see how much sportsmanship is practiced down here. Especially at the traffic jam on pool #4 below L&D #3.

I’ve seen 1/2 the boats and 10X the issues up on Mille Lacs, Leech, and Winnie.

I’ve told my friends from up north that I was impressed and really enjoyed fishing down here, even near the crowds.

There is always going to be one or two dummies out there who have no regard for others. I’d be proud of yourselves that you have the fishery and the sportsman you do down here.

I will say I’ve had issues myself down here with some pros on MN opener.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

I dont like fishing the crowds and masses because of the very reason this thread was started so to avoid this I find fish else where. Problem solved

and to think its not even spring yet

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I personally like fishing in the crowds now days. Didn’t always, but it was my fault for having the wrong mind set. Go in with a smile. Rib the guys around you and congratulate the ones who catch nice fish. It’s all good. Laugh at the one or two guys who clip the wing dam, multiple times in the same day!! Bumper boats is what you make of it.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

I have a hard time multitasking, like boat control and fishing, so I try to stay away from the crowds, never fails I end up short one jig and someone’s anchor rope has a extra…

But after close to 50 years fishing, I’d discovered you’ll find morons everywhere and they could be anybody.

Had a water skier come with in 15 yards of my boat, gave him the universal finger sign for love and he had the stupidity to come back and have the boat go on one side of me and him on the other, a wrist rocket and .38 cal BB explained that was a no-no.

Had two old timers back troll into us in Canada years ago, also had two bass tourny guys come up and demand we move as we were in their spot, list goes on and anybody who’s been on the water for any lenght of time will run into them.

I try and do the best I can as far as not bothering other fishermen/women/things, hopefully I’m succeeding..

Al

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Quote:

I personally like fishing in the crowds now days. Didn’t always, but it was my fault for having the wrong mind set. Go in with a smile. Rib the guys around you and congratulate the ones who catch nice fish. It’s all good. Laugh at the one or two guys who clip the wing dam, multiple times in the same day!! Bumper boats is what you make of it.

Brian Lyons

Mojogrunter:
    What kind of boat/engine do you run?

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Quote:

just take a deep breath then stare at mojogunter’s avatar …..

My thoughts exactly.

mojogunter

Quote:

Mojogrunter:

What kind of boat/engine do you run?

621 Ranger white and red with a 225 Evinrude E-Tec. Why did you see me get bumped, or were you doing the bumping?

corey_waller
    hastings mn

Quote:

hey I couldn’t agree more if the fishing is slow there is always some to talk to …. or laugh at

theodorenugget
    Sugar Land, TX

Quote:

OK people just take a deep breath then stare at mojogunter’s avatar …..I’m all better now

Ok.. Done. Feel better now.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.