Disney World????????????

• spd800
    NW Metro

OK so I’m thinking of taking the family on a vacation this winter. Boys are 9 and 6 years old and wanted to go to Disney. I’m not big on the idea but the FW really wants to go too. My question(s) is does anyone have any pointers on what to see or who to book the trip through.

Thinking of doing a Land/Sea package.

Thanks,

Steve

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Sea World is a far more enjoyable day than Disney in my opinion. Make sure to fit that in if you can!!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Dont look at the prices and enjoy yourself. Stay at the resort. They will pick you up at the airport and you wont need to drive while you are there. You get into the parks early and get to stay late. We went for 5 days and did not get to see every thing. Go at off peak times. I think some where around thanks giving or xmas was when we went.

Family of 5 for 5 days it was around 8k. Dont even think of looking at the prices there.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

first rule of Thumb.. BUY THIS BOOK..
    The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World, by Bob Sehligher.. ( spel)..

that one book alone.. will make a ton of difference.

two.. http://www.wdwmagic.com is a great website.

three.. debate staying on base.. for those of you who have money spilling out of your pockets.. or off base.. for those of you who don’t have that type of money..

Four.. DO NOT BUY ANY TICKETS ON ebay.. NONE.. not unless you want to pay twice..

five.. Florida Travelers visitors guide.. is a great book to buy. it cost like $3-4 Bucks.. it will give you deals on where to stay in Orlando..

If you have never been there before.. the closer to WDW the better you are.. stick with major name hotels. Holiday Inn, etc..

call your hotel and ASK FOR A DEAL… if you don’t ask YOU WON’T GET.

the last time I went, Alamo rent a car had a deal on their website. I got pricing right from Disney that I could not get any where else. it was on the Alamo page.. but you actually called Disney World.

debate whether to fly or drive. From LaCrosse its two days of driving.. with Nashville being the pivot point I believe..

unless you have a code from Disney,, THEY WON”T TELL YOU OF SPECIAL DEALS when you call them.

join http://www.mousesavers.com its free… she knows the deals and posts them.. mouse savers..

if you are driving decide whether its cheaper to take your car or get a rent a car.. Hertz, enterprise all have unlimited miles.. tell them where you are going.. or just ask for unlimited miles.. and don’t tell them.. it’s up to you…

other then having gone to Florida many times since 1965 or earlier.. I really don’t know too much..

but this is a start..

and it may be easier to book with a travel agent.. but watch what and where they book you and for how much..

the last time that we went 6 years ago.. we drove, 4 adults, food, room, gas, rent a Car and all expenses were about $3000. but we go on the cheap. We brought 53 bottles of power aid that we got from Woodmans for 45 cents a piece.. which for a 32 oz bottle is some what cheaper then buying a 20 oz bottle in Disney for $3.. and they let you bring it in.. so we did. every day.. we brought our own water from home as well. and brought it in to disney.. and had no problem..

get fanny packs and hats.. and good walking shoes.

read that book cover to cover and find out what day to do what park, and that really makes a difference..

Do exactly what the plans tell you to do.. and at WHAT TIME TO BE THERE.. and don’t miss your time.. and you will see it all without waiting in line.. fail to do what the book plan says and you will spend a day standing in line seeing not as much as you could.. because there is always SOMETHING TO SEE AT DISNEY WORLD.. no matter where you are..

dea
    Hixton, WI

We waited until the children were a little older to go. That way they could go on all the rides that had a height minimum… We booked through a travel agent and figured we ended up with free hotel for the four days we were there. We had a blast at SeaWorld also. I would pass on Epcot Center if they are that young and the Disney Zoo… We made no plans and went to the park about 9 am and returned about 7-8 pm. That way no one was over tired and we let the kids pick the places and rides they really wanted to go on. Once back at the hotel (off site) we went in the pool or watched a movie. We went towards the end of August – better deals since it is hurricane season (buy trip insurance!). We landed between two hurricanes and had great weather. Thank goodness.
    Don’t forget they have speed passes at Disney so you can jump ahead in line at a specified time. Really saves on waiting in line. You also get discounts if you buy 2 or 3 different Disney park tickets at once for each person.

Jay Jones
    Onalaska Wi

We just got back from 7 days on-site, air fare(direct flight), 5 days park hopper passes, lodging, meal plan (awesome) 4 people under $3000 total, booked by a travel agent. Buy the unofficial guide and have a great time, dont spend alot on your resort, your not there very much.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

We liked Animal Kingdom the best, and will probably do a Sea/World Disney combo next time.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I can tell you more after Feb… We leave the 13th.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

The post made by Old Rat is right on
    We make the trip with our kids every few years. We are waiting for the youngest to reach the height requirement before going again
    Another fantastic website is http://www.disboards.com/
    Many Disney resort workers post there and they are great at helping Disney rookie.
    If you have any questions shoot me a PM.

Ron

lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

After reading this thread it does not sound like fun at all. Sounds like it is less planning and timing for a military strike. Went to Disney about twenty years ago, not nearly as memorable trip for me as some of the smaller family trips to other destinations. Never bought into the Disney hype, more of my influential friends families went very often, maybe it’s not a place for the budget minded.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

some people get the Pixie dust and others do not.. I have been going since they opened the gates in Florida. and been going to florida since before they started building it.. and the only thing about Disney was a movie called a Hole in the head with Frank Sinatra..

For me its one of the most special places in the world. and thats at 53..

others don’t see it at all.

the big key, and I can’t stress this enough, is to spend $20 or go to Barnes and Noble and sit in a chair and read that book..

He explains that Disney has two times.. one to tell the public they are opening..and another to actually open,

he tells you how to see the WHOLE PARK..

literally, we were the first family on the five biggest rides in Epcot.. ALONE.. We did the “land” with just the little Girl driving the cart.. and the four of us.. without a microphone..

and yes Epcot is for everyone.. trust me it is..

kooty
    Keymaster

Thanks for all the advice everyone!!! We are renting a house because there are 12 of us going and we want to do a lot of our own cooking(picky grandpa). I can’t wait to see the kids having fun there. I visited Disney Land in Cali when I was 4 but don’t remember it of course. I’m also super pumped about some warm weather in Feb, maybe even a round of golf or fishing.

Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

Spending that kind of money to imerse yourself in a crowd of people and then spending a lot of time waiting in line for the attractions has never seemed like a good idea to me.

kooty
    Keymaster

Quote:

Spending that kind of money to imerse yourself in a crowd of people and then spending a lot of time waiting in line for the attractions has never seemed like a good idea to me.

To me, it’s what you make of it. Pool 4 in April isn’t that great of a place either if you let the 100’s of other boats bug you. However, I agree, crowds are not for everyone.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

Forget the guide books. I did that the 1st time and it took all the fun out of the trip. Just go and have fun. Stay on the grounds it is much more convienient and the rates are not that much different. Don’t worry about seeing everything or getting on every ride, just go and have fun.

One of the keys to having fun (at least for me) is to forget the value of money. While you are there darn near everything is at ball park prices.

payday
    Ramsey, Mn

We went when the boys were 7 and 9. They absoluty LOVED epcot. Stayed on the grounds in one of the All-Star hotels (cheapest) and rode the bus/tram everywhere. Bought the park hopper pass but, most likely didn’t need it as we only went to 2 parks in same day once.

We bought the meal plan and would not recommend it but, we never worried about the cost of meals. Do at least 1 character breakfast. Polineasian or Grand hotel were the best.

Since I paid for everything before we left, I have no idea how much it cost but, whatever it was. It was worth every penny!!!

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

well I am going to tell this story and then I will let the rest of you discuss..

the first time that we took the Book.. and followed it.. it was a piece of cake.. until.. the third day..when I decided to sleep in… It was at Universal… and we got to the park an hour late.. and then THERE IT WAS.. Line after LINE..

and standing and standing.. because the prior days. we just did exactly what the book said and we were wisked away right to where we needed to be.. and no or very little waiting in line..

and that was 20 plus years ago and my family still lets me have it now and then..

only 10% of the visitors at the park will have and use the knowledge of the book plan.. and as you work through the park you will see people with the book in their hands..

and the last time we went.. all four of us got to go on their favorite ride at least twice.. and that’s saying something because they were all in separate parks..

a friend of ours came back in February.. and they said.. hey the book says to go here to see this parks fireworks.. and there they were.. all book holders.. and they all were laughing about it..

oh.. and the times I have gone have been Spring Break and Easter week… and in the summer.. all peak times..

I have never done Christmas. but I hear its something else..

but as they say.. Christmas is coming.. and we are booking at trip somewhere the week of October 7th.. we have airline passes that we must use..

so yes there are crowds and there are crowds.. and just like on the river. Knowledge is power…

spd800
    NW Metro

Thanks for all of the replies. I’ve got a few quotes from a couple of different travel agents now it’s time to get the book and start planning.

Kooty you taking the whole clan?

kooty
    Keymaster

Yup. My 5, my sister’s 5 and our parents. All on one flight from here too. I bet Delta will hate us. I’m putting everyone in coach but me so I can drink free beer all the way there.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.