Long lining

• NOEL CANTU
    NE IOWA

Hey all,
    I was thinking about trying “Long lining” for walleyes this year… Does this technique work all year long? Are there any articles that explain the set up and description of how and where to use this technique, here at IDO?
    The golfing fever is cooling down and the fishing and hunting fever is heating up…
    Thanks in advance!
    Tight lines,
    Noel

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Long line trolling does work all year, but in different forms. Most of the summer on the Mississippi my trolling is made up of regular crankbaits without boards on channel edges, and flats. The big thing that makes a difference throughout the different seasons is crank styles and speed.

For example, late fall is one of the best time to catch tons of fish trolling, (mid to late November and later) but they are usually deeper and want a slow moving bait around 1mph to 1-1/2mph. This is where leadcore and three-way rigs shine.

I personally prefer leadcore as I still get that “Long Lining” feel. From now until about 45 degree water, I’ll troll a lot of jointed Shad Raps, Reef Runners etc… in the 10-16′ depth range.

For clear lakes, sometimes the boards are better. I prefer to long line whenever possible though, since it’s one less thing to worry about. I don’t have to worry about taking a board off, or having a line break on a snag with a $25 board (with an additional accessories) on it.

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

Pick up a troller’s bible, and either a linecounter rod/reel, or you can buy a shakespeare line counter and add it to your rod. the bible will tell you how much line to run for the desired depth of like 250 different crankbaits. its all you need to stay in the strike zone!

troller’s bible
    http://www.precisionangling.com/

add-on line counter
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0002054013743a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=line+counter&sort=all&Go.y=0&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

NOEL CANTU
    NE IOWA

Hey guys,
    I think I may not have explained my question correctly… I thought “Long lining” was casting a jig and bringing it back slowly, in the right place without getting snagged. Maybe it is called something else. I didn’t mean trolling.
    I think that a “dumb question” is one that isn’t asked.
    Thanks,
    Noel

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

No Problem,

Most of us call that pitching. We do a ton of pitching jigs to structure, shorelines, sand flats etc… This works on lakes, rivers and pretty much anywhere in between. I’ve been casting and retrieving jigs and 1/2 crawler at wing dams all summer with great results.

The big thing to consider, is for this presentation you want to be pretty sure that there are fish in the area because you’re covering a pretty limited area. You want to use as small of a jig as you can while still keeping bottom contact. In river systems, you’d like your jig to slowly glide downstream with each lift of your rod tip.

It should just move a little bit with each lift. You don’t want it moving a ton while just sitting though. You should look into the mastering plastics dvd sold on this site, it covers a lot of pitching jigs, and will show you the effectiveness of plastics as well.

I’ve also seen many other video pieces on this. One of the most memorable was Ted Takasaki and crew pitching jigs and Munchee Ring Worms at a rip rap shoreline in the spring. I’ll post the link if I can remember where it was.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

This is essentially what we call “dragging” jigs it’s highly effective, but most people do it a bit different, they do it by tossing a jig behind the boat and slowly moving the boat just fast enough with the right weight to keep the jig off the bottom. IMHO Highly effective all year round.

Not exactly what you are talking about, same concept really, no real difference if you sat somewhere and pitched jigs and brought them back to the boat just off the bottom.

I’ll find you a thread and make another post that explains more of what I was saying.

NOEL CANTU
    NE IOWA

Hey guys,
    Thanks for the replies. Some very interesting reading and I may have to check out that dvd too.
    Thanks again,
    Noel

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.