Goose Jerky ?

• bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

Any of you guys make goose jerky? I had some last year and it was awesome. I would like to try and make some,but don’t know how.Do Ya grind it or cut in strips? Do Ya marinate and with what? Do Ya smoke it at what temp. and how long,or do Ya dehydrate it? How do You make yours?

whittsend

I second that question… I have heard that its awesome, but have never had it. I love duck, but think cooked goose is about the toughest garbage to chew on… Would like to try the jerky…

chappy
    Hastings, MN

I think I have one……No time right now to type it out. Will do it later….

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

I wasn’t to impressed with the cooked goose either.

birddog
    Mn.

Without pulling my recipe out…slice it and marinade.

Marinade…water, soy sauce, quick cure, garlic powder, pepper, celery salt, cayenne or cajun seasoning. Might be one or two more ingredients. Let marinade overnight. Almost forgot brown sugar.

I smoke mine…160 degrees till done. Sometimes it’s 3 hrs, sometimes 8. Depends on the outside temp and humidity. You can also do it in the dehydrator or oven. I prefer the oven method over the dehydrator, I think it tastes better. If you do the oven or dehydrator use liquid smoke in your marinade.

Mine is a pretty run of the mill recipe, lots of info on the net for exact amounts of each ingredient.

It’s the only way I’ll eat goose, it takes the sht pond taste away.

BIRDDOG

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

never had goose jerky but have cubed up goose wrap each piece with bacon and grill it was very good

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I love goose jerky.

I like mine cut into strips. I like the texture better that way.

My marinade is very simple. I use soy sauce, Worcesters, liquid smoke, and salt. I’m sure someone has a better recipe, but mine works for my palate.

I own a smoker, but I dehydrate mine. Why? It’s easier and I think it tastes just fine.

Sully

neverhome
    Anoka county

When we get back from Canada we take our geese to a meat market (we used to use vonhansons). They make sticks and jerky for us at a reasonable price as long as we brink in a lot of meat. It is fantastic and also the only way I could eat that much waterfowl.

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

I’ve had lots of canadian geese. I love it roasted. Better than any tame goose. But the blues & snows forget them. Never tried the jerky.

huntfishhastings
    Hastings, MN

My buddy and me made some last year that was great. let me till you I cannot stand the taste of geese. We ground up a mixed bag of canadas and snows maybe a few ducks in there too. Then added 1 part ground pork shoulder to 1 part waterfowl, store bought mix and shoot it out of a jerky gun. My smoker is a big cheif and I personally dont think they get hot enough to make it safe to eat. So I do one pan of chips dry in there and then place it in my oven on the lowest setting for a few hours with a spoon keeping the door open. You have to check it occasionally because each batch varies on the amount of fat. (on the shoulders I grind everything fat and all). Let cool and freeze tastes great. We used beef with the fowl one time and I personally dont think that it has enough fat to keep everying moist plus its about twice the price of pork. Also the freezing part is crucial it will only last a few days otherwise.

huntfishhastings
    Hastings, MN

I second the snows and blues being bad. Its like eating the insole of my work boots. If anyone wants waterfowl this fall send me a PM.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Wew smoke the entire breast. Brine it in salt water over night twice. Then marinade in you favorite sauce. Smoke until the entire breast is done. It should pull apart in strips. It’s a great way to take a snack into the field.

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

take it to a butcher….

johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

Over the years we’ve tried just about every recipe out there. We have found the best way (we think) is to grind up the goose breasts and add some ground beef. Add which ever store bought powdered marinade you think you will like. Mix it all up and use the trusty old jerky gun to shoot out strips.

I like to use an electric smoker because I think I can control the temperature easier. The jerky tends to smoke a lot more consistent then in a charcoal smoker. Last year I think we made about 40-50 lbs. of goose/duck jerky during the hunting season and we ate it all before the season was even over. This was the first year ever that I didn’t have any duck or goose in the freezer after the 1st. of the year.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Can’t find it right now…If I do, I’ll get it on here.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

I have and had it in sticks and chunk/sliced goose and it is great. ALso have some great recipies for slow cooking it and turns out great for ducks, canadian geese, snows, blues, and speckled bellies…

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Bird dog and I have basically the same recipe it appears. I’ll grab mine tomorrow though and put it up for you.

I personally am a fan of the slices over grinding. If you can I would partially freeze the breast before slicing makes it MUCH easier.

I do mine in the oven for now, but plan on upgrading to a good size dehydrator this year. The oven works great, but make sure the slices are as uniform as possible, because if they aren’t you will be having to check about every half hour or so after about 6 hours. So I wouldn’t plan on leaving the house for a day.

I only use snow’s for mine. I went through 3 lbs ( finished weight)one day on people that refuse to eat wild game. After they put away the bag I told them what it was. apparently they don’t care any more. because I have to bring in 3-5 lbs every time I make it now. one day I’ll have to tell them their burgers are venison.

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

Shorelunch used to make a rub for making jerky that was absolutely great for geese. I still have 5 boxes of it. I cut the meat into 1/4″ strips and place the rub on overnight and then slow smoke for about 3 hours at 160 Degree’s with hickory chunks. Everyone who has tried it absolutely loves it. It is the best way to use up geese meat. Too bad they quit making it though.

jetdriver
    Hudson WI

Anything wrapped in bacan and deep fried has to be good and healthy!

Personally I like to smoke geese. but sometimes it is hard to find rolling papers that big.

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

Dry terriaki rub and let them sit over night mixxed with the dry rub. Next roll the thin strips in lemmon pepper, be generous at this point. Throw them in the oven, dehydrator of in the smoker till they reach the desired doneness. Key points: use lots of lemmon pepper and slice it thin enough that you will find and of the steel shot left in the breast

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

They must have added beef or pork to it….I made so much goose jerky when I lived in SD, I swear I was growing an oiler. I’ll be interested to hear if a “good” recipe exists without adding other meat.

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

Here is how I make all of mine and it’s easy. Tastes good too.

1. Clean and remove the silver skin and fat from the breast.

2. Cut the breast into long 1/4″ thick slices. I cut the breast at about 45 degrees to the muscle grain. The consistency of the cut thickness makes a big deal. Meat smokes evenly.

3. Let the meat rest on layers of paper towels to dry out.

4. Purchase your favorite type of High Mountain Jerky cure. It can be purchased at Gander, Cabelas, Fleet Farm, etc. My favorite is cajun or a mix of garlic and cajun.

5. Sprinkle the High Mountain Jerky cure on both sides of each piece of goose. Place in a large tupperware container.

6. Refrigerate the meat that has been seasoned at least over night or longer.

7. Fire up the smoker and have a few beers. Sample the smaller pieces over time to determine how moist/dry you prefer the jerkey. I use hickory or applewood for at least the first hour and then can just use the heat after that. Depends on your taste. I don’t recall the temp that I used off hand, but it is pretty low temp.

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

Thanks for all the recipes an ideas.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

One thing to use to break down the meat (tenderize) is to marinate in a citric juice (100 % natural) to taste, like orange,cranberry,lemonaid or lime aid.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.