Motorheads! need your opinion

• dgilgen
    Eau Claire Wisconsin

I have a 96′ 90hp 2-stroke V4 Evinrude and have not had the boat out in 8 weeks. A few years ago, after about the same amount of time on a 70 hp 3 cylinder, I took the boat out and smoked a cylinder. Is there anything I should be doing to prevent this from happening again? Thanks IDOers!

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

nothing special to do. i feel it is a bad thing however to leave an engine sit fo a couple of years without being ran though. have had a few cases where snowmobiles sit for cpl yrs with out being ran. probly cuz lube does not get distributed. remember most boaters in the northern states store boats for 6-9 months with no problems.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Though you may be ok (I’ve did it many times in the past), I would say run a fuel stabilizer, I really prefer seafoam, that should keep your gas from going bad, and possibably varnishing up the jets in the carb, which could cause you to run lean and burn a cylinder. Lots of products out there stabil, star-tron of course my favorite seafoam. Cheap insurance IMHO, plus seafoam and star-tron both reduce carbon build up which is also very harmful to rings and motors. Stabil just stabilizes the gas, and too much stabil can cause problems (if you can properly read directions that’s a nonissue). Star-tron is new, personally I haven’t used it yet, but people seem to like it thus far. With today’s Gas ethanol or not, it’s appears to breakdown faster and IMHO it’s cheap insurance to prevent this from happening.

millerman
    Red Wing, MN

Get some heat in the engine before hittin it! Idle it around work up to open throttle. Easy is the word!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.