BEES!!!

• DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I have stump in the back yard of a large tree that fell 2 years ago. Well, as luck would have it, some bees made a home in the base of the stump. They are down into the ground and they are constantly coming in and out of at least 2 holes in the ground underneath the stump.

I tried spraying with Raid, but it had no effect. Does anyone know of a product that I could leave around outside that they would carry in and kill the hive?

I think they are regular honey bees, but could be hornets. They are not wasps.

Dynomite? C4? Methane? Flame thrower?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Pour in some flammable liquid (gas) then light.

big_g
    Isle, MN

See if you can find a local bee keeper, to put a hive there for you and in a little bit, he can haul them away.

big G

Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

Good luck and maybe contact a pest control guy.

kinny

Why do you want to kill them? I wouldn’t consider honeybees to be real problem, actually very beneficial. You’ve lived with them all summer, let em go for another month of so and let them leave on their own then grind the stump away. Otherwise find a beekeeper in your area and get his/her input.

PowerFred

If they are honey bees, please leave them alone! We need all the bees we can get. If they are hornets or wasps and you can safely burn the stump, thats the way I’d go. Mix up some gas and deisel fuel and soak the stump. Then stand WAY back and throw a burning object onto it. Stand guard with the garden hose and a cooler of beer and enjoy the bonfire!

buck-slayer

Dump some bleach down the hole. The more the better.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

They dont bother me, but I have young kids that like to run around w/ their friends. They also dont like me mowing the lawn around their “home”.

The holes go horizonal into a mound 1st, so it wont be easy to pour anything into their hole.

I might try just covering the hole w/ a tarp and leaving it there for a few days.

I still like the dynomite idea.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

Pour in some flammable liquid (gas) then light.

Ditto! Kill em with fire!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

If they’re plain old honeybees, I agree with the sentiments of others! Save them! Since Colony Collapse Disorder has hit the US, there are some very worried entomologists out there that fear the way we enjoy fresh fruits, veggies, ornamentals, and a host of other benefits provided by honeybees may be drastically reduced, or go the way of the dinosaur.

If they’re hornets, ground bees, or any other variant, we effectively killed a nest a few years ago with a coffee can of 50/50 diesel and gasoline. A little too effectively. Ended up killing the root systems to some nice choke cherries about 5 feet away, and eventually the tree. Careful!

Pour the mix in early on the coldest available morning. All the bees will be in the hive, and they’ll be a bit sluggish. The mix tends to melt their wings, but there’ll be some down the hole further that don’t get any on them, so light it before they get out. Sounds like popcorn if you do it right.

Joel

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Quote:

See if you can find a local bee keeper, to put a hive there for you and in a little bit, he can haul them away.

big G

If they are truly honey bees you need to protect them. The world has a shortage of honey bees and we really need them to pollinate many fruits, vegetables, and flowers. They are being killed by people applying insecticides at the wrong time.

However I really don’t think they are honey bees because their nest is in the ground. I am not an expert but would guess what you have are what I call yellow jackets or bumble bees. They too help to pollinate.

millerman
    Red Wing, MN

BEER GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yeah what they said burn it.

chrossa
    Arcadia, WI

There is a pest control product called seven dust that you pout out. When the bees go threw it they care it back into there hole and it kills them all.

stuart
    Mn.

Quote:

They dont bother me, but I have young kids that like to run around w/ their friends.

Get rid of the kids,alot cheaper in the long run.

mstrumar

Quote:

Quote:

They dont bother me, but I have young kids that like to run around w/ their friends.

Get rid of the kids,alot cheaper in the long run.

Bob Gordon
    Washington,IL

Don’t kill them. Find a bee keeper. Honey bee’s are in trouble as it is !

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Any update Dave? From the sounds of it, could be ground wasps. Not as big as those leg dangling kind. Honey bees need something bigger than a stump for a hive usually. Where is all the homeycomb going to be?

I have put ammonia in a lawn sprayer, and sprayed it in holes like that…AT NIGHT!!!! Don’t do it during the day.

Unless you invite me over!

gotcatfish
    Prior Lake,MN

Found a hive today while mowing around the fire pit. Got me 6 times before I realized what was going on Hope the neighbors didn’t see me running for the hills Kicker is I’ve got a bunch of friends coming over for a bonfire tonight. Guess it’s just going to be ladder ball, bean bags and beer tonight

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

No update, still in denial. They are active though, 2-3 flying in and out ever 10 seconds.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.