Bait casting less than 1/4 oz

• DrewH
    s/w WI.

Is it practical to try and use a bait casting outfit to use lures less than a quarter oz? If so what is the your choice of rod and reel? Thanks

acar555
    Omaha, NE

It can be done. It isn’t for a beginner with a baitcaster and the better you equipment the easier it is. I have a few reels that I throw lighter than 1/4 oz on. Shimano Calais 100a, Chronarch Mg 50 and a Daiwa Sol.

dan-tessmann
    Kieler, Wis

I like to use a 7′ medium action with a fast tip. You will need a fairly good real with 2 sets of brakes on it. You can really fine tune your approach and eliminate alot of the backlashes. You want a nice rod that will whip the lure with minimul effort. I have a St. Croix Premiere and will throw 1/8 oz swim jigs every so often or plain texas rigged worms. Hopefully this helps Drew, Dan

bucketmouth1
    Lancaster, WI

i agree with Dan i think a medium or MH action is crucial….it makes it a lot easier with a softer tip, depending on how much u wanna spend i think the revos and quantum PTs work well, good luck

bear schutts
    Menomonie, Wisconsin

If you want to try to use lures that are that light you are going to want to have your reel super tuned. It gets rid of a lot of the friction that they have. It is requires sanding and polishing the inside components of the reel. It allows a guy to cast light baits far and reduces backlashes. I have done a bunch of them, they work awsome and have other people tell me how much they love them.

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Thanks for your advise guys I appreciate the thoughts.

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

I use a cabelas 663 action turny7 and a quantum energy pt high speed and fish a 4″ worm 1/8 oz weight
    Stan

dylan-gravenhof
    Worthington, MN

i dont think i ever throw anything lighter than 1/4 oz so i dont really know!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.