‘Move-Over’ Law Soon To Apply To Boaters, Too

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Was this a problem? Are boating enforcement officers being endangered? If so, I’m all for it, but it’s the first I’ve heard anything about this.

I love that we have laws for common sense items. Wonder how long it took our representatives to pass this. Not that they have any other pressing issues to work on for the state.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

It might be because of the incident on ‘tonka a few years ago(?)

The LE’s were looking for a drowning victim and the boaters wouldn’t move because they didn’t want to give up their spot to watch the fire works.

purely speculation on my part.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

I love that we have laws for common sense items.

mmhm….

First I’ve heard of it too. Although I rarely encounter the law enforcement on the water, let alone with their lights on. I guess I just assumed that this was always a law, road or water.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

The LAST thing I would want to do when someone is under the water is start my engine and spin the prop!!

-J.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

The last thing I would want to do is have to legislate common sense!

Where is Soucheray???

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I wonder how exactly this applies to border waters.

I see this as a pretty minor issue, I’m sure I’ve never seen a boat on the water with it’s cherries lite up.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

The LAST thing I would want to do when someone is under the water is start my engine and spin the prop!!

-J.

Not even if it was Brian in the water???

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Quote:

-J.

Not even if it was Brian in the water???

Ahhhh…yes….The “Exception to Every Rule” clause!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Don’t be a hater.

das_bass
    Mound, MN

Quote:

It might be because of the incident on ‘tonka a few years ago(?)

It looks more like a rule designed to keep the LEO from getting swamped/knocked down/overboard by the discourteous boaters who don’t care what kind of a wake they leave behind them. With the LEO’s attention on checking life-vests, talking with the people they pulled over, etc., it probably is pretty easy to be taken unawares by one of those big wakes if it is coming from behind them.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Another common sense concept that has to become a law because of a few select individuals don’t have common sense.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

It looks more like a rule designed to keep the LEO from getting swamped/knocked down/overboard by the discourteous boaters who don’t care what kind of a wake they leave behind them.

We should have a law for everyone like this…not just LEO’s.

Wait! We do!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I seem to remember:

Quote:

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR WAKE

Too bad most people don’t think much about it. My peeve is the folks that think they’re doing me a favor by slowing down, yet in the process come off of plane and plow a huge wake. THANKS!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.