Dead Sturgeon post

• TROUTMAN
    S.E.Minnesota

Tried to find the dead sturgeon post from yesterday but couldn’t so,I’ll add this little update.Fished pool 3 last night and encountered 1 dead carp about 10#,1 dead flathead that would have gone at least 15# and 1 dead pike that would have easily gone 12 to 15…maybe more,it was pretty decomposed. Any news as to whats behind this? I’ve never had a problem eating fish from the Miss but….I’m beginning to wonder.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Pool 3 Sturgeon Post<<<

What you saw doesn’t seem like a die off…for an 18 mile long pool, I would call that natural.

Not that I know what I’m talking about.

TROUTMAN
    S.E.Minnesota

“What you saw doesn’t seem like a die off…for an 18 mile long pool, I would call that natural.”

True but,I thought perhaps I was seeing the remnants of what appeared to have happened earlier in the week.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

That could be.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

My last 3 outings out on Pool 3 at night, I have hit about a half dozen or more fish! At night, these fish are right below the surface feeding on shiners that come up to the surface at night. Running a 16 foot Lund with a 25 tiller, you KNOW when you hit a fish!

BK and I also saw a large paddle fish with it’s entire bill removed just below the RW dam. Those dams and locks are fish grinders as well! Throw in a few hundred speed boats, anglers hooking fish deep, and you are going to have fish mortality to some scale. Plus…fish die. Everything dies. If it was a massive die off…then heads will turn. Myself and a few others I know are on Pool 3 a lot. My estimation is that the pool is very healthy.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

This makes you wonder.

Six-mile oil spill on Mississippi River headed for La Crosse
    By Tribune staff

A 6-mile oil slick is working its way down the Mississippi River and is expected to reach La Crosse by 5 p.m. today.

At least 1,000 gallons of diesel appears to have entered the river upstream of Dakota, Minn., according to the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.
    The source of the oil is unknown, but the U.S. Coast Guard does not suspect a boat.

The oil is not a threat to aquatic life, but the DNR advises people to avoid contact. The agency says to expect the smell to linger through Friday.

The oil is not recoverable and is being dispersed by swift currents, according to the DNR.

DNR spokesman Ed Culhane urged concerned citizens not to clog 911 lines with calls about the slick.

The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency is heading the investigation into the source, Culhane said.

For updates on this story, check back at http://www.lacrossetribune.com.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.