Used car value????

• garvi
    LACROSSE WI

I’m trying to sell a truck, I go on to kelly blue book and it gives me a price of $5965 I go on to edmonds and it gives me a price of $3000.

How do you find out what the real value is

I’m not trying to screw anyone but I am also not trying to screw myself.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

those are usually pretty good resources to get a decent starting or base point, but I would do some searches on the net and also ebay motors for like model vehicles and see what they are selling or sold recently at, that will give you real market conditions.

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

I’m trying to sell a truck, I go on to kelly blue book and it gives me a price of $5965 I go on to edmonds and it gives me a price of $3000.

How do you find out what the real value is

I’m not trying to screw anyone but I am also not trying to screw myself.

nada.com is a good tool also.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Sounds like your getting a “retail” value from one and a “wholesale” or trade-in allowance from the other

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

kbb gives you 3 different values. Retail or dealer price, private party value, and trade in value. I would recheck it to see all the different values and go from there. Also in my opinion I think Edmunds is consintaly low on their values. Good luck.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

I tried to buy one for edmunds price once and could’t really find anyone trying to sell their truck that cheap.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

thanks for the tips

God I hate selling a car

big_g
    Isle, MN

PM me the make model year, miles, shape and any extra options and I will check the latest NADA book. These are the bible, updated bi-weekly if needed for market changes. KBB, Edmonds and others, do not update nearly enough.

big G

birddog
    Mn.

I tend not to use the “blue book” “nada”, etc…I find the prices on those sites aren’t in line with what the local market says. Their prices are high compared to what the guy down the road is selling for. Especially in this economy…if it’s not priced accordingly, it’s not selling.

I’ll do a little market research, what are like vehicles selling for in the area?? Carsoup, Cars.com, craigslist, etc…Find like vehicles, if you WANT to sell it, price just below the others. If you want to sit on it, price it in the middle of all the others and hope the right person comes along. Buyers are doing the same research.

I just sold our 06 camper, what the all the RV books said and the real world said were way different. Understandably, this is a recreational vehicle not a neccessity like a car. I wish I could have got what the “blue book” values said, if that were the case I would have made thousands above what I paid originally, how does that work?? Four other identical, or very close campers in the area, priced in line with them…sat on it for 4 months…as soon as I priced it below the others, sold in 1 day!!

A guy can go to any car dealer right now and buy a vehicle well below the “book value”. It trickles right down to private party, the private seller has to price even lower because that buyer can go get the same used car at the dealer for the same price, which is already well below book.

Good luck.

BIRDDOG

big_g
    Isle, MN

I agree, don’t use the “sites”…. they don’t update them enough. We use NADA pocket books here, they come out at least monthly and they are the Midwest edition, so market is correct. Anytime we show a customer we are “giving” them NADA book price for trade in…. its always too low….

big G

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.