I’m looking for a new truck…

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m in the market for a new (new to me anyway) truck.

Here’s what I’m looking for>> 2005 – 2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD w/ Duramax and Allison transmission. Long box is a plus for me. Long box with a color matched topper… now you really have my attention.

I’m also open to similar Ford / Dodge trucks but at my heart I really want the Chevy.

Here’s the reason for the post… I’ve been all over carsoup and vehix and I’m finding LOTS of trucks for sale with 35,000 – 70,000 miles on them. The mileage range seems more than reasonable. The vast majority, and I do mean VAST, are sitting on dealer lots with almost no trucks meeting my description in private hands. And I would really like to get a feel for what’s out there and available through a private seller.

Does anyone out there in IDO land have a truck for sale that meets this description or have a friend with a sweet truck that’s so well cared for that you wish YOU could buy it? That’s the kind of truck I’m looking for and since my internet searches had turned up OK results that left me feeling like there must be something better out there I thought I’d reach out to “the network” and see what pops up.

As a thank you / finder’s fee… I have a new St. Croix Avid of your choice for anyone that sends me info on a truck I end up buying.

Thanks in advance people.

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

James,
    I’ll keep my eyes open for you. I really like my 05 Duramax/Allison crew cab shortbox. I’ve been thinking about going to a 07 I found, but not to excited about the diesel filter on the new ones. I just ran a 200 mile round trip empty today, and got a solid 22 mpg running about 59 mph most of the trip. You may be aware, but the 06 has 40hp more than the 05, and also has a 6 speed auto trans verses the 5 speed auto the 05’s have.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

You may be aware, but the 06 has 40hp more than the 05, and also has a 6 speed auto trans verses the 5 speed auto the 05’s have.

If I had my preferences I’d get the 2006 for those very reasons but as I’ve heard the 2005 are darn good trucks and the 2006’s I’ve seen have been right at the top of my budget so I’m not sure if I can reasonably expect to swing the 2006. But I’d like to.

Thanks for the offer of keeping your eyes peeled for me.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

James, if you don’t have any luck finding one then maybe try this at a car dealership. I know they can do a search for new trucks that different dealerships have and make a trade with them for the one that want and have a buyer for so maybe they can do that for a used truck too. Its worth a call to check it out. Also both Kinsellas [507-281-6333] and Kuehn Motors [507-282-7700] used car dealerships here in Rochester are always searching for good vehicles at auctions etc to buy and put on their car lots for sale. Give them a call and tell them what you are looking for. Hopefully this may help.
    Thanks, Bill

Roofer
    Minnesota

That truck in those particular years (pre 07) will be hard to find. That was before the newer emissions that Diesels now have. They get better mileage 07 and older. Very good combo. I had a 2002 up until this year and never had a major problem. The Dodge diesel is excellent also. I would steer clear of the newer Fords for a few more years.

Good luck in your search. I looked for a crew cab long box new for a few months and never found anything. Everyone has short boxes.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I feel your pain, I have had a Silverado ext cab for 8 years now and love the truck to death, but with a 3 and 1 year old now I need something bigger in a 4 door. I looked at a newer Sliverado but they only come in a 6.5 foot box in a 3/4 ton not in a 1/2 ton. After looking around I stoped in a ford dealer to just look. The new 09s have 8 more inches in the back seat and it came in a 150 just what I was looking for. I could not spend $40,000 so used I went looking,but nothing in a long box. Every one was buying trucks with a 5 foot box, and for me that is for girls. Long story short 6 months and a drive to Medford WI I got the truck I was looking for. So dont feel bad when you have to look for a while for what your looking for, it well be worth the wait because I love my new truck even though it is a Ford.

markmoran
    Rochester MN

Quote:

Here is one I found:

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

James my brother Burbob is selling his duramax.Shoot him a pm and get the details.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

James my brother Burbob is selling his duramax.Shoot him a pm and get the details.

And it has a topper!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James, if you don’t have any luck finding one then maybe try this at a car dealership. I know they can do a search for new trucks that different dealerships have and make a trade with them for the one that want and have a buyer for so maybe they can do that for a used truck too. Its worth a call to check it out. Also both Kinsellas [507-281-6333] and Kuehn Motors [507-282-7700] used car dealerships here in Rochester are always searching for good vehicles at auctions etc to buy and put on their car lots for sale. Give them a call and tell them what you are looking for. Hopefully this may help.
    Thanks, Bill

I have the guys at Markquart Motor on the hunt. They specialize in chevy trucks. If anyone can find one that I’m looking for, they will.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

truck

here is one
    shane

Thanks Shane. I can find millions of those. I’m looking for a very specific truck. Long box. Diesel. Allison trans. 4 door.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

here is another one

truck

shane

Closer… but this one is gas.

I’m more interested in trucks someone might know of available through private parties.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Will do.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Seems as though you have to be signed in to get to my link. I will copy and paste the add. Let me know if you need any more details and I will contact him.

2005 chevrolet duramax 2500 hd k25 extended cab LT diesel pickup 6.6l leather, aluminum wheels, new tires, step bars, hard fold box cover, trailer ready,spray on box liner—-this truck is emaculate—- always stored inside

white with dark grey interior heated seats towing mirrors 36800 miles superior wi. $26,500

scott 218 590 8016

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

James any luck finding a truck? May want to consider expanding the search to a 3500. 1 ton, I don’t know how much the ride would change, but they only came with longboxs. Some are Single Rear Wheel. I did notice this 2500HD recently…

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1175349795.html

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

I can tell you how they will ride.

James, stick with the 3/4 ton.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James any luck finding a truck? May want to consider expanding the search to a 3500. 1 ton, I don’t know how much the ride would change, but they only came with longboxs. Some are Single Rear Wheel. I did notice this 2500HD recently…

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1175349795.html

I’m driving to see that one tomorrow.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I can tell you how they will ride.

James, stick with the 3/4 ton.

I hope to stay with the 3/4 ton but there sure are some nice 1 ton trucks out there. The search goes into high gear now. I should have a purchase made by the end of the week.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Be sure to take the 1 tons for a good ride, not just around the block. Hit the freeways at 70ish, notice the difference in the rides.

Good luck on the purchase!!

Roofer
    Minnesota

JMO, but unless you like washing and looking at swirl marks in the paint, don’t buy black. Some people don’t mind, but I hated my black truck when I had it.

A 2500HD is rated the same as a 1 ton pickup. The difference between a 2500HD and a single rear wheel 3500 is wheels, tires, and one leaf spring. 2500HD 9200 GVWR, 3500 SRW 9900 GVWR.

I went from a 2500HD to the 3500 SRW Dodge (10,100 GVWR) and the ride difference isn’t very noticeable at all. The longer wheelbase of a CC long box makes it ride a little better also. They really ride nice with a little weight in the back.

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

I’m driving to see that one tomorrow.

Good Luck! Hope you find what your looking for.

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

James, Are you still looking?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Well… not really. We’ve entered into the negotiations phase.

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

Ahh, Negotiations , The fun part of purchasing!

Hope it works out for you.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.