Plates when selling a vehicle ?

• garvi
    LACROSSE WI

When selling a vehicle (truck) should the plates go with the vehicle ?

The truck I am getting is from my father will those plates transfer ??

I am not to experienced at this transfer stuff, the truck I will be selling I have had for almost 10 yrs.

Thanks

jhalfen

In WI, plates stay with the owner, not the vehicle (I think…)

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

In MN the plates stay with the vehicle unless they are personalized plates and the seller wants to keep them. Then new plates will have to be issued.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

In MN the plates stay with the vehicle unless they are personalized plates and the seller wants to keep them. Then new plates will have to be issued.

In Mn the plates sre the owners. The can transfer to the new owner. But you would be foolish to let someone you don’t know drive off with your plates. Also, if you trade in to a dealer, remove the plates yourself! Never and I mean never let a car dealer take possession of your plate!

-J.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

I didn’t know it made a diff. this would be Wisconsin.

like I said i’m a vehicle rookie.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

same here in Mich Jon!

dea
    Hixton, WI

You can keep the plates if you wish. The good news is you won’t have to pay sales tax on the vehicle if you are purchasing it from your father. There is a spot on the registration paper to notate this.

ses
    Mississippi River

I just did this myself and you can not transfer plates in WI. You will not have to pay sales tax, but they still got me $158.50 for my B size truck.

$69.50 here, $84 there and $5 for counter fee……..

Oh, I also found out that it is cheaper to get new plates rather than using some existing expired plates I had from my last truck. It cost you $10 more to use the old plates. That makes no sense to me.

Good luck!

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

In Mn the plates sre the owners. The can transfer to the new owner. But you would be foolish to let someone you don’t know drive off with your plates. Also, if you trade in to a dealer, remove the plates yourself! Never and I mean never let a car dealer take possession of your plate!

-J.

The whole package, plates included, is the owners

until the sale is recorded and ownership is transferred.

It doesn’t make any difference if it has plates on it

or not when it drives away. It still has a VIN#.

You’d be foolish not to accompany the buyer to the DMV and

transfer title immediately………..with or without plates on it.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Right. Without plates the new owner is motivated to get the transfer completed! I would never let the plates go to the new owner. Never!

-J.

das_bass
    Mound, MN

Also, if the car with your plates on gets a parking ticket, or is in an accident, guess whose name comes up when someone goes looking for the person who has to pay the bill.

corey_waller
    hastings mn

I work as the finance manager for Hastings Ford and the laws between mn and wi are a bit confusing, in minnesota the plates stay with the car and in wisconsin you get to keep the plates. the fees for new wisconsin plate should be the same unless you move them from a car to a truck. hope this clears any confusion. I dont want anyone to get a ticket.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

in Minnesota the plates stay with the car and in Wisconsin you get to keep the plates.

Cory,

I think you mean to say “the plates can stay with the car”

But anyone doing that would be making a foolish move. Anything that happens between the time you sell and the time the plate are actually transferred is your pain in the

Believe me, I learned the hard way ….. twice!

Simple answer in both states. You sell the car, do yourself a favor and remove and destroy the plates. Then your is covered if anything happen to that vehicle after you sell it! Relatives and close friends included.

-J.

corey_waller
    hastings mn

I understand your point Jon. and completly agree it would be a pain because there are some bone heads out there. but the person who you just sold your car to cannot legally drive the car anywhere! You can and should notify the dmv that you have sold your car and that will cover your azz

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Notifying the dmv is not enough. Even going there and doing the transfer in person is not enough! If tickets get issued between the time you transfer and the time the computer gets updated, the tickets are yours!! Then it is up to you to get it fixed. This could take weeks or months and there aint no way of explaining your way out of an arrest warrant on the side of a road. YOU are the one going to jail!

KEEP AND DESTROY YOUR OLD PLATES!!!!

-J.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Same thing goes for RV’s, Boat Trailers, Motor Cycles, any license under your name should be kept.

-J.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.