New to IDO!!!

• Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

Hey guys… I have been reading IDO for a long time but have just now joined the crew. I have a 16′ jon boat and mainly do shallow water river fishing and am looking for a new (different) motor. The boat is rated for a 35 and i have johnson 15 on it now with nothing but problems… I would like to upgrade to something newer with more power and for sure a 4-stroke. What do you think about the Yamaha 25’s? What kind of set-up do you all have? Thanks for any info!

redneck
    Rosemount

I can’t help you with your motor question but I’m betting someone here can.
    I just wanted to welcome you to the site

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Welcome to the site, enjoy it

I dont own a yamaha but from the people that I have been with that do have yamaha’s I cant say enough good things about them. My next boat will be equipped with yamaha for sure

jhalfen

Yamaha 25 horse 4-stroke = bulletproof.

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

What should I expect to pay for one? I don’t need a new one… something ten years old would be just fine. I would prefer to pay under 2k.. is that reasonable? I just need something reliable that doesnt leave me stranded or trying to pull start it for 20 minutes after a half can of ether

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Quote:

Yamaha 25 horse 4-stroke = bulletproof.

Sounds like solid advice………Welcome to the site

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

I have a buddy with a 30 horse Johnson short shaft that he had on his 16 jonny that he may be willing to sell.P.M. me if interested and I’ll give him a call.

jerry b
    western WI

Welcome aboard, you’ve only touched the tip of the iceberg for the good info these guys have stored. I’d recommend either Yammi or Suzuki, I’ve one of each and all I do is change oil, filters and plugs. The plugs I change because I feel guilty for not having to do anything else jerr

camodm
    Wisconsin

Welcome form the Skeeter Boat Center.

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

Welcome to IDO, Lots of great info around here.

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

It seems as though I can get a suzuki 4-stroke 25 for 3100 brand new …. which also makes me think I could find a used one for much cheaper?

Walleyeking77
    Eau Claire Wisconsin

Welcome to the sight!!!!!!!!!!!!
    A 25 horse 4-stroke yamaha is a great motor.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Howdy, welcome to IDO!! Check out the classifieds or hit up craigslist. Both good options for finding a motor, and for 2000 dollars, you should be able to find something quite ample. My boat cost 2000 and it came with a 40 horse merc on it.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Welcome! For 2 G’s, you should be able to outfit your boat just fine. My 14 foot mirrocraft flat with a 25 hp Merc and trailer cost $1800. The motor has been awesome. I should really put new plugs and service the lower unit soon. I think 6 years is a little long to go between services.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Welcome to the site. Be careful when purchasing used outboards… Especially from those river running folks, you know who you are…

Good Luck, let us know how your search goes.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Welcome to IDO walleyeworld

Good luck finding a motor

jshanks

Just in case you are interested my dad has a 25 hp Mercury 2 stroke he bought new maybe 5 or 6 years ago or longer I don’t know for sure. Its a long shaft. Runs and looks like new. He uses it once or twice a year or not at all. It just sits in his garage. Let me know if you are interested. Usually starts on the first pull. I don’t think it even has a mark on the prop.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.