Homemade Pizza

• haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

Anyone have any suggestions? A good sauce or crust, and what sausage to use?

I probably won’t do anything too exotic since the wife and kids might not like it.

Thanks.

troy_blackstad
    Hastings MN

my wife makes some awesome homemade pizza. i talk to her. and maybe she’ll write the recipe here for all to see.

outdoor_guy
    Norway,Michigan (In DA UP)

Make what I make Best………………. Reservations !

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Make what I make Best………………. Reservations !

Aaah, the old SMA plan …..don’t knock it, because it works

I wouldn’t mind seeing some ideas on making pizza’s myself

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Go down to Cosetta’s on 7th Street in St. Paul and buy their sauce and sausage.

Then buy the Pillsbury crust that is in the tube by the biscuits and the like. It is fantastic! Then buy some fresh mozzerella from either Cosetta’s or your grocery store. Slice the cheese into circles and place like pepperoni.

Yeah, its not the same old pizza that you get…but isn’t that why you are making it from scratch in the first place? Cosetta sauce and sausage is THE best.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

We use 2 betty crocker pizza crusts per cake pan, sprinkle with a light amount of garlic salt. Then I use Green Mill pizza sauce, 1 jar. Add browned 1lb. of hamburger. Cover in pepperoni. Cover all with pizza cheese generously, usually two of the standard bags.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

I used to eat there A LOT when I was in high school. I really remember enjoying their pasta as well.

FDR

cutty

I of course make the best pizza. Sauce,crust,toppings….the whole deal. You peasant, will never reach my level, but keep trying…..those who eat your miserabale attempts will at least be full

huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

Making me hungry!! Brings up another question. I wonder how that recipe forum is coming?

Just kidding James and Crew-Can’t imagine you’ve been busy at all?

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

Quote:

That sounds like a good idea.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Most pizza places will sell you some dough for next to nothing that is all proofed and ready. ]

I like to make my own w/ a bread machine on the dough setting. 2 3/4 cups flour, 1 tbsp butter, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp (or one packet) yeast and 1 cup of beer. Sometimes I will add garlic salt or garlic powder too. This makes enough for a 14-16″ deep dish pizza.

I use a canned sauce that is pretty good Contina or something like that.

One tip, if you dont like greasy or watery pizza, saute topping 1st that contain a lot of juice. Sausage, breakfast bacon, pineapple, vegies. Also, roasting fresh garlic 1st makes a nice flavor.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I go to mama’s pizza down on rice and frost. nothing better than his sauce.

shane

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

Quote:

I’m partial to Morelli’s on Payne Avenue about 3 blocks north of East 7th Street.
    Their bulk italian suasage is my first choice
    Works great for hot dago patties as well
    Now i know what I’m making this weekend, thank
    Good luck
    cheers

deputycrappie
    Near Lake Pepin, Minnesota

I second the morellis plan. My family has frequented their meat market my entire life and the liquor prices are about as cheap as you will get on the east side! When it comes to the dagos, check their freezer, every so often they sell 8 1/4 lb sausage patties in their sauce packaged together for CHEAP, lke 7 bucks or something, we brought 2 packages up to upper red lake, made quite the meal on the ice!

as far as pizza goes, you all have it easy, my fiance has celiac disease, and we make homemade gluten free pizza crust from scratch all the time. It ends up edible, but takes somewhere in the realm of 2 hrs from start to finish.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Quote:

Making me hungry!! Brings up another question. I wonder how that recipe forum is coming?

Just kidding James and Crew-Can’t imagine you’ve been busy at all?

I’ve started a blog under the title “the cooks” in the new beta forum, just got it up and running, and I don’t have a recipe for everything, but I do a whole wheat pizza dough in the bread machine. I’ve put a few bricks in the Webber and fashioned a brick oven to cook pizzas in, tastes awesome, just don’t use corn meat on the bottom of the crust, it burns too quickly.

jamesiner
    elk river, mn

——————————————————————————–

They also sell their dough as well–great sausage

Homemade sauce is easy–stewed tomatoes, garlic herbs and the food proc, living in the sticks jimmy dean italian sausage will do–when back home to the suburbs of chicago-one pizza joint owner will give me sauce and dough

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

A little off subject, but anyone know where to buy GREAT italian sausage?? I used to have a place I would get it in Edina. The restaurant has closed since and I am craving a good italian sausage spaghetti…

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

I’m going to try out Morelli’s first, and the other one later.

There are some good deals down there if you look at their ad online. I found my wife’s wine on sale for $2.49 a bottle (Sutter Home)! And a good price on some beer.

Thanks for all the info.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Just an FYI, their beer prices are the same as Sam’s Club everyday prices. You don’t have to be a member for liquor store access either.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Quote:

Just an FYI, their beer prices are the same as Sam’s Club everyday prices. You don’t have to be a member for liquor store access either.

God bless america for that, too!

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

Quote:

I read the ad wrong, It was for a case Genuine Draft for $10.77. Only to find out they are 7oz bottles.

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

The pizza was great! The whole family liked it. Had left overs for lunch.

Morelli’s had it all. I picked up sauce, crust, and 2 different sausages (1 spicy, 1 regular). I wish I would of bought their fresh mozzarella.

They make their own thin crust, 14″ for $1.49. A jar of their sauce was $2.99 and should get 3 pizzas out of it. 1 pound of sausage is enough for 2 pizzas.

I’m already craving another one.

Thanks for the suggestions!

CornHunka

Quote:

We use 2 betty crocker pizza crusts per cake pan, sprinkle with a light amount of garlic salt. Then I use Green Mill pizza sauce, 1 jar. Add browned 1lb. of hamburger. Cover in pepperoni. Cover all with pizza cheese generously, usually two of the standard bags.

I use the Betty Crocker bags also, but put some Italian Seasoning in with mix before you add the water and I like to prebake the crust first for about half the cooking time on the bag. That way your crust will be a bit crispier and the cheese won’t be too brown.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.