Hawaii report

• wallster
    Austin, MN

I just returned home from a week in Hawaii. Sure was nice to get away from the cold. Made it out deep sea fishing twice.
    The first day out was an average day for this time of year on the island we were on. We joined the boat with another couple from ohio. When we were leaving the harbor the deckhand was going threw instructions and told us there would be a little “texture” to the water as it had been 10-20mph winds over there for a least a week straight. He was not wrong by telling us that. Waves were a rollin. 8-15 footers. Now those can do some damage to a guy. I got the trip started off with a Ohno. Then the other three on the boat each caught a mahi-mahi. These are one of the coolest looking fish I have ever seen. But after a few seconds out of the water they loose there color fast.
    The second day was the best day of deep sea fishing I have ever had. As the captain told us it was “the right day to be out”. The waves had laided down alot and the fish had been moving threw the area with the feed bag on. We no more got out of the harbor and saw a nice flock of birds hovering the water and headed straight for them. If you have never been deep sea fighing, the thing to do is look for the birds. This means that there is a fish below them that is pushing up a school of baitfish.
    So we got to the first flock of birds and whammo, fish on Mahi-mahi. We got the first one in the boat and got the rods set back out and the birds hadnt went far. Right back to the birds we went. Bamm, fish number two,three,four. Its a triple I was in the fighting chair while my father-inlaw was reeling another one in. He got his in first and reeled in the third. 45mins into the day and 4 fish in the boat. After that rally we could still see the birds and started right back after them. This time we didnt even make it to them and we had another one on. We then continued after the birds and getting 4 more fish befor we had the fish scatterd out and the bird going every direction. So the captain decided after all that in 2 1/2 hours that we would move on and try and find some more fish because these fish had seen enough of our lures and wouldn’t bite. We went looking for more birds and never really found any with fish under them. Ended the day with 9 Mahi-mahi.
    Got back to the harbor and seen a guy trying to catch a sea turtle that had some line around its neck. First sea turtle I have ever seen. Not the way I wanted to see one. It looked like it had been sitting on the bottom of a pond. It was full of moss and was gasping for air. I dont know if the guy trying to get ahold of it ever did as we had left befor it came up again.
    Sure was a great trip with some nice weather and good fishing.
    Wallster ><((((>

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

dorado is imho the best tasting fish that swims. did you get to sample it? awesome.

llong

nice looking fish. glad to see you had a good trip

wallster
    Austin, MN

Yeah we had ohno and mahi for super after the first trip. I also brought some fish home too. It is a great taking fish.
    Wallster ><((((>

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Great report
    Do you know how much line that reel takes

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Very Cool! Thanks for the report and pics!
    Man, I wish I was there!!!

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Glad you had a great trip!

wallster
    Austin, MN

I dont know how much line the reel held. It was spooled with 130lb line is all I know.
    Wallster ><((((>

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

i went fishing for mahi-mahi in cozumel a couple years ago, it was awesome to say the least! and probably the best tasting fish i’ve ever eaten!

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Looks like a blast .

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Sounds and looks like you had a great trip wallster!

Welcome back.

Jami

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Awsome trip man! Now when we going to fire up the grill

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

It sounds like you had a great trip Wallster! I’ve had the pleasure of catching numerous mahi-mahi (dolphins, dorados) and you are right, it’s one of the most beautiful fish in the water!

I didn’t realize that Wahoos were called Onos. I’ve also caught several of them as well and they are a blast. They are considered by many to be the fastest fish in the ocean. And I also think that Wahoos are the best eating fish hands down.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

wallster
    Austin, MN

Yeah it was the first time I have eaten Ohon (Wahoo) and it is the best tasting fish I have ever had.
    Erick, I’m more worried about firing the boat up and getting back on the river.
    Wallster ><((((>

wing_nutt3

Nice pictures Willard. Cool looking fish!

wallster
    Austin, MN

wing_nutt, you should have come over, it was a blast. Next time we go you’ll have to come with us.
    Wallster ><((((>

jbob
    Hastings, MN

I am going there on Macrh 17th for 2 weeks. I have 3 trips booked as of now. I hope that the weather is good.

wallster
    Austin, MN

jbob, Who do you have your trips booked with?
    Wallster ><((((>

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.