Oahe Suggestions

• CornHunka

Planning a trip to Lake Oahe in mid June, and would like some recommendations on where to go. I’ve fished the Bush’s Landing area out of Pike Haven, but want to explore other areas. Anyone got any suggestions?

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

ah, oahe. a lot of great memories of great fishing trips there.

went every year in june from the mid-80s through the 90s but havent been back for six years. found a spot thats just as good with half the drive (p4).

we almost always fished out of bush’s with good luck either direction. also put in as far south as cow creek (not counting days fishing in the river below pierre) and as far north as whitlocks, but never made it all the way to mobridge.

we always kept an eye on the wind and worked main lake points, secondary points in bays and contours dragging light bouncers and jigs w/bait. didnt do any trolling back then.

i am sure others, like ben, will check in with more recent info.

sharkbait
    The mud puddle in western Ks

When we were there last summer the biggest thing I found was that the fish were a lot shallower than what most of the locals thought.Everyone was running out in the 35 plus fow and we moved up in 5-15 fow and were catching smalmouth bass and walleye on jigs and crawlers and a lot of the fish were better than the deep fish.Also know a good guide up there at the time was nailing good eyes trolling both lead and longlines with frenzy and other similar type lures running in and out along the breaks.Just good wide s turns that hit the breaks in depth.getting in as shallow as we were.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.