E-TEC 150 VS YAM F150

• CHERBS
    Wi

I KNOW THIS IS A AGE OLD QUESTION BUT I’M BUYING A ALUMACRAFT 185 TROPHY AND WAS WONDERING WHICH MOTOR IS MORE RELIABLE AND DURABLE.ANY PRO’S AND CON’S WOULD BE GREAT.THE BOAT WILL BE USED MOSTLY FOR FISHING BUT I DO HAVE 3 LITTLE BOYS THAT ALSO LIKE TO TUBE AND MAYBE IN THE FUTURE SKI.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

My vote would be for the Yamaha

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I have the Yam on my rig because I got burned so badly with the old Evinrude Ficht (1999) but honestly today, if I was buying a new 150, it would be a toss up between the e-Tec 150 and the Yam F150. The e-Tec have many many great features built in, whereas the Yamaha is a bulletproof hunk that puts out 162 HP and runs like the Energizer bunny.

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

I have a 2007 ALUMACRAFT 185 TROPHY with 175 E-tech for sale. Fully loaded for fishing and a tow pole for pulling tuber. I have pictures and info on this site in the classifieds under boats. This boat has all the bugs out of it and well worth looking at.

LINK TO MY BOAT ADD

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

If I was looking for a new boat, those are the two brands that I would be considering. Specific to the 150 hp catagory I would choose the Yami. If I was going bigger like a 225 or 250 I would probably pick the E-tec. I think that there are a few more bugs in the mid range hp E-tecs that still need to be worked out. And you did specifically ask about reliability. It is my impression that so many pros run big E-tecs that their bugs have all been addressed.

As someone already mentioned, the Yami 150 is a very strong 150.

Good Luck on your choice and congrats on the new boat.

FDR

mille-lacs-guy
    Chaska, MN

Do your self a favor and look at the Suzuki. I know you weren’t asking about Suzuki but I was in the same situation you were a couple of years ago deciding between Yamaha and Evinrude and I ended up with the Suzuki. It is a very impressive motor.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I have a 150 e-tec on my alumacraft navigator and love the motor. Had a bad starter out of the box, but other than that, it has been a great motor. Runs great.

hhguide
    Alexandria MN

yami or suzuki. I currently run a yami 115 but my next motor with be a suzuki. not problems with my yami just like the suzuki.

CHERBS
    Wi

JEFF I DID SEE YOUR ADD, BUT I REALLY HAVE MY HEART SET ON A NEW BOAT. SORRY THIS TOOK SO LONG REPLY I JUST FIGURED IT OUT TONIGHT. B.C.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Your not really comparing similar motors in my opinion. However, I’m a huge 4 stroke fan. THE biggest factor for me is noise levels. I love how quiet the four strokes are.

milemark_714

Quote:

Yamaha

Exactly

Wouldn’t the Yamaha be a little less in cost?

That was the case when I priced 50HP motors a few years ago.Etec was about 500.00 more than the F50(tiller).

Can’t go wrong with a Yammie!

CHERBS
    Wi

THE BOAT I’M BUYING IS RIGGED FOR THE E-TEC AND IS ABOUT $700 LESS. I THINK THAT’S WHY I’M TRYING TO JUSTIFY BUYING A YAMI OVER THE E-TEC. I’M ALSO PUTTING A T-8 KICKER ON.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I have a 150 e-tec and a t-8 kicker on my alumacraft and am completely happy. IMO either the yami or the e-tec are good choices as they are both solid motors.

CHERBS
    Wi

Quote:

I have a 150 e-tec and a t-8 kicker on my alumacraft and am completely happy. IMO either the yami or the e-tec are good choices as they are both solid motors.

HOW LONG HAVE YOU HAD RIG?

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

got it early last summer. Have 85 hours on the e-tec, and probably close to that on the t-8 as well. I made numerous runs from one end of Winnebago to the other and back, some days going over 100 miles, just because it was fun to drive and I wanted to make some long runs with it to see how it did on fuel. It is still early in the life of the motor, but I have nothing but good to say about how it performs.

CHERBS
    Wi

Thanks for your input I just can’t wait until the hard water is gone and we can go fishing. (in a boat.)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.