ice fishing question regarding rules/laws

• Tucker02
    Mn

I have a buddy who wants to go over by Nelson and fish the Mississippi backwaters on ice. Can you legally fish there with a Minnesota license? Could the dnr ticket you as you leave the ice on the Wis. side? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

It is Boundry Waters and an MN license is good.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

It is Boundry Waters and an MN license is good.

Can he fish 2 rods or 3?

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

Quote:

It is Boundary Waters and an MN license is good.

Can he fish 2 rods or 3?

Minnesota license equals 2 lines. You have to follow the rules of the state in which you are licensed.

Prestige
    Elgin, MN

Between the railroad tracks on the Minnesota side and the tracks on the Wisconsin side are boundary waters and can be fished with either liscense. If he has a Minnesota liscense he has to follow these rules.

WISCONSIN–MINNESOTA Regulations
    • Two lines with a single lure or bait on each are permitted. If fishing with one line you may use two baits.
    • Fish hooked in any part of the body except the mouth must be returned to the water immediately.
    • Tip-ups must be within 400 feet of the angler.
    • Rough fish may be taken by spearing, archery, and dip-netting during daylight hours from May 3, 2008 through March 1, 2009. Dip net hoops cannot exceed 24 inches in diameter.

Tucker02
    Mn

Thanks guys! I now feel comfortable about the issue. Isn’t this site great! Reliable info. from people with a passion! Kinda rejuvinates ones soul

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

MNATC, If your friend or whom ever crosses under the railroad tracks or tressel he or she must have a license for that specific state PERIOD….That’s the law….”Hairjig”

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

also remember if you are a resident of MN or Wi you must have a licence for your resident state to fish the boundry water no mater what side you enter from. this was hashed out a little while back. I can’t wait for my boat to float again.

have a good new years Stan

ozzyky
    On water

So…if you are on the minnesota side and have a WI license, do you only get to use two lines? (Not referring to the mississippi, but a lake that is still boundary waters but is land locked except in extreme flooding.)

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

So…if you are on the minnesota side and have a WI license, do you only get to use two lines? (Not referring to the mississippi, but a lake that is still boundary waters but is land locked except in extreme flooding.)

Depends on which DNR you get stopped by MN, or WI

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

In a word….Yes

VSRangerMan
    Chippewa Falls,WI

Quote:

also remember if you are a resident of MN or Wi you must have a licence for your resident state to fish the boundry water no mater what side you enter from. this was hashed out a little while back.

Yes I had a friend from Mn that I took out in the spring & he purchased a annual Non-Resident WI license being he has a cabin in NW WI & fishes it often when he gets there.Only thing he did not have a current valid annual MN fishing license.Wouldnt you know it we were visited by MN conservation wardens!Which launched from the same landing as we did on P5 in Alma!They stated my MN friend shouldnt have been able to get a WI fishing license before having 1 from his own state.I asked what if he never fishes his home state waters as he usually goes to his cabin in NW WI to fish in his free time.Wrong question & statement! Brief Q&A time. They did let us go leaving with a grin, stating he needed a current MN license before days end 11:59 pm & it was near 6pm on a Sun. & he needed to send a copy to them within 3 days or a fine would be sent via postal service.Do yourself a favor & be licensed in your own state & go by your home states bylaws when fishing border waters.It can save you alot of grief in the long run! Running across the river to find a place to get a MN license at 7pm on Sun eve is no treat!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.